Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping the pool closed this season

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping the pool closed this season

I did a search but it seemed most of the results were keeping the pool open for the winter. Here is my situation. The pool needs a new SWG system which we really don't have the money to buy right now. My wife is starting RN school this week which is going to make for an extremely busy summer for us. I will be working more than usual to take up the slack of her going to school and we have a 2 year old and a 15 year old golfer that will have a summer full of golf tournaments. So, basically, we are not going to have much time to care for the pool or even use the thing this year.

Is leaving the pool closed this season a valid option? If so, what can I expect when opening next year?

I figure this has been asked many times...
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Jandy AquaSeries Ei Pure Salt System
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Keeping the pool closed this season

Buy a cover, put it on and hope for the best. Chances are you will have a swamp but this forum knows how to help you get it cleaned up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Buy a cover, put it on and hope for the best. Chances are you will have a swamp but this forum knows how to help you get it cleaned up.
    We have a safety cover which is what we use to close it. It's been pretty green before and I have gotten it cleaned up. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't do some damage that could not be undone as I have never left it closed for a season.
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Jandy AquaSeries Ei Pure Salt System
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Our pool was left closed for 2 seasons (foreclosed house), and while it was some work when we opened it, we were able to get it sparkly with TFP.
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.