Need some clarity please.

Hello,

Although I have been caring for my 14000 gal. in ground pool for a couple of years, I still feel like a newbie because my results are not satisfying. I really wish I could get the sparkling clarity out of my water that is expected from a trouble free pool.

I live in the Chicago area and started opening my pool a little over a week ago. A bit early for this region but we are having 80+ weather so the timing is actually nice. However, just like last year, I am having trouble with semi-cloudy water.

When I removed the cover May 6th, my pool was green so I got busy cleaning, filtering, balancing and SLAMMING. I have a Taylor K2006 test kit and I use 10% pool bleach for sanitizing. In a week it went from green to milk to semi-transparent and now my overnight FC test is holding. My most recent chemistry is:

FC=6
CC=.3
PH=7.6
TA=90
CH=230
CYA=50

As with most projects, it is that last 10% that often is the toughest. Is there anything I am missing in my effort to get that crystal clear result?

Thank you!

Paul

Since you have passed the OCLT and you are not yet crystal clear, your issue is a matter of filtering. You don't post your equipment but tell us about your filter........that is likely where the problem is.

Good day Dave,

The pump is a Challenger 1HP connected to a PosiFlow 100GPM cartridge system. I have two cartridges that I have been rotating through the opening process which typically start at 16-17 PS and I change them out when they get to about 25 PSI. I also have a Polaris 380 with booster pump running too but it has not been picking up much lately as the bottom is pretty clean. It is the particulate suspended in the water that is troublesome.

When I remove the cartridges, spray them down, soak them in dishwasher detergent or TSP, spray again. At the start, I was changing the filters every few hours. The pressures over the past 3 days have stabilized at about 18PSI.

Hope that helps.

Welcome! :wave:

Questions: Is that .3 CC a typo? It's not a multiple of .2 or .5. Why have you stopped holding it at shock level if it's not clear? Have you scrubbed secret hiding places like beneath ladder rungs and behind the light? What type of filter do you have? Sand filters are the slowest about clearing the haze. A little DE begged from a neighbor with A DE filter could help. It's mentioned near the end of the SLAM Process article.

It will help a lot if you fill out your signature. How and what are covered here.

Fair enough Richard. The CC should be .5 as it only took one drop to clear the 10ml CC test.

I held the shock level at 15 for a week until the FC remained steady overnight with a low CC. The semi-transparent water was not changing holding at shock level. I then let the FC drift down to 6, as it is today and CC remains at .5.

The ladders and light had been removed from the pool for winterization and only went into position 3 days ago. Walls have been brushed and the light cavity cleaned out before I mounted the fixture in place.

No DE for my setup.

Looking at the SLAM procedure I found this:

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.​

Looks like you might have quit too soon. You'll need to bring the FC back up to SLAM level until the water is clear.

Don't be discoraged, Paul. I think you are pretty close. You have great equipment for that pool and that big filter will eventually get every speck of cloudiness out for you.

Run 24/7 and have a big drink of POP (Pool Owner Patience). You will get there and you are doing everything right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.