New to TFP! Cloudy pool

Mbishop871

Silver Supporter
Apr 24, 2017
Landrum, SC
I have just started using the TFP method a couple of weeks ago and like what I am seeing.

(Using TF100 Test Kit)

I am having a hard time getting my pool to clear up. I have been in the SLAM process for a couple of weeks and the pool is a beautiful blue color but it is still cloudy. I can see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end but not in the deep.
My question is how long should it take for the water to completely clear? I will admit, due to business in my schedule, I have let the FC slip down a couple of times but have tried to get it right back up. My reading when this whole process started were:

FC 1.5
TA 90
PH 7.2
CH 350
CYA 30

My CYA has raised to 40 even though I have been using Bleach to raise FC.

Any info I could get would be appreciated but being new to the process I want to make sure I am doing things correctly.

Hello Mark and welcome to TFP! :wave: The #1 concern I see in your post is that your FC appeasers to have dropped at times. Consistency is a very important aspect of the SLAM. I suspect you've managed to kill most of the algae, but some of it may still remain, or the dead algae is still clouding-up your water pending filtration. Dave recommended the OCLT, I suspect in an effort to confirm if it is just a filtration issue, or if the algae is still alive. Still, your FC may be too low at the present time. We don't know because the test results you just posted above state they were back when you started the SLAM. If your CYA is currently 40, your FC should be 16 at this time until you complete the SLAM which of course includes the OCLT. Depending upon the condition of the water in the beginning and consistency of the testing, a SLAM can take anywhere from a few days to a week or two.

So for now, make sure your FC is still at "16", and continue to sweep/brush, backwash, etc. If you have a light, ladder, or steps, make sure you remove and inspect behind or inside each item. Algae can hide in places you would never expect. Let us know how your OCLT turns-out, and post a full set of results on your next post so we can help you better. Thanks for posting and have a great day.

Thanks for both replies.

I tested this morning and my FC is 16.5 and 0 CC after adding bleach last night.

My CC has not been over 0.5 for some time now but I just can't seem to get clear. I have performed the OCLT and never lost more than 1.0.

Haven't put in the ladder yet.

Think it may just be not keeping high enough for long enough.

It is clearing some but just can't seem to get over the hump. Should I do a full panel of tests because I read the PH test is inaccurate during the SLAM process?

Thanks

Nice update. I don't see a need for a full set of test right now. If you've maintaining the FC of 16, which is sound like you are, and passing the OCLT, it may simply be a filtration issue. Can you confirm how old is your filter? Have you ever used the TFP Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page to clean your sand? That may help. In addition, you might consider using a small amount of DE as noted on the TFP Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter page. One or both of those may help wrap-up that SLAM.

Not exactly sure how old the filter is but i replaced the sand Summer before last. I will read the other articles and see if that helps.

Thanks for the input. Really enjoying taking control of my own pool and getting away from the store!

I have been consistent with the SLAM for a week and seeing more clearing each day. I can see the bottom of the Deep end now and very close to completely clear.

We had a full day of hard rain yesterday and I had added some water on Saturday due to evaporation and I checked the CYA this morning and it has gone up to 50 from 40 just a week ago. Is this normal considering I have not used anything but 8.25% bleach? Nothing else has been added for over three weeks now but the bleach.

Trying to wrap my mind around all of the this and not understanding why the CYA is going up, especially since I just had a lot of water added to the pool over the last two days

No, Cya can't rise unless youve had some in there so ewhere that wasn't dissolved and that isnt the case is it? It's test error or lighting variation...because it can't go up from adding Bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support