Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Plaster Startup question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Plaster Startup question

Had new plaster (Diamond Brite Blue Quartz)/tile installed this spring and finished filling/turned on the pumps Saturday afternoon (5/13). Pump/filter running 24h/day. Test results as follows:

FC:0 CC:0 pH:7.5 TA:280 CH:350 CYA:0 Temp: 66

I have been checking pH and TA, and adding acid to lower pH to 7.2 twice/day. Will my high TA cause any problems for the new plaster? I know there isn't much I can do for it except keep adding acid when the pH creeps up. So far the highest the pH has gotten is 7.5.

I am brushing 2x/day, but not seeing a ton of plaster dust.

I am nervous about not having any chlorine, but also don't want to add it in too soon. Should I add it tonight or wait another day? I would hate for things to turn green on me.

Any recommendations, or am I on the right track? Also, when I add in CYA and chlorine is it OK to use granular CYA and bleach like I usually do?
    25,000 gallon inground plaster pool with attached spa. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Plaster Startup question

Here is what SGM wants you to do, http://www.sgm.cc/html_Pool/HomeOwne...chemistry.html. And be sure to register the warranty, http://sgm.smod.us/smodMain.php?sys=pub&pub=wif2

The high TA (that is really high) will push your pH up a lot. It is very important to keep PH at 7.8 or less to prevent calcium scale. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling. You are correct that adding acid to lower PH will slowly lower TA too. Or you can actively lower TA following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

They say to add chlorine on day 3, I would not wait that long. The little bit of chlorine in your tap water will not last a day with no CYA. Nobody wants to SLAM a brand new pool.

Yes, granular CYA in a sock or knee high is fine. Give it a squeeze regularly to help it dissolve faster. And bleach is also fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Plaster Startup question

Thanks for the reply! The pool school article on starting up new plaster says to add chlorine "SLOWLY" What exactly is slowly? I added CYA at lunch time to get to 30ppm. How much chlorine should I add tonight? Should I shoot for the target of 4-6ppm that pool math suggests? Any risk to adding chlorine before I officially reach 72hrs since I turned on pumps?
    25,000 gallon inground plaster pool with attached spa. Sand filter.