First SLAM

Mkleisch

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2017
Naperville IL
I'm a new member and pool owner who bought a house with a green pool. My K-2006 arrived and I will be testing my water levels tonight. I have been scooping out leaves and brushed the pool a bit when i took the winter cover off Friday.

My pool measures 16 x 38 and has a shallow end of about 3' and a deep end of about 6', which is about 20500 gallons according to Pool Math.

I need these levels:

FC
CC (added)
Ph
TA
CH
CYA

All of my other info is in my signature. Is there anything else I missed?

Thanks in advanced

The bad:
e35598f416bd03c111ba8bc772ddcbb4.jpg

Great photo!

Ideally, you'll take a picture looking down at the steps every day and post it it, so we can see the color and clarity improve every day and see the steps appear out of the murkiness one at a time. Then we point to this thread when the next green pool story comes along.

Good grief that's a swamp. I had the same a few years ago and got through it following what these guys on TFP told me to do. I have cartridge filters and made the mistake of vacuuming through the filter after a big algae kill. I was forced to clean my filters 3 times for each vacuuming job and it was a horrible waste of time. I should have dumped it to waste and replaced the water. You will learn a few new tricks I am sure.

Good luck

I think the previous owner replaced the liner and just filled it back up with hose water, winterized the plumbing and let a bunch of tasty treats fall in before putting the winter cover on. I can scoop stuff off of the bottom with the net... I will be scooping and vacuuming to waste for a while I think...

Bad news. I've been scooping delicious snacks off of the bottom of the pool with the basket for 30 min now.... I dont think I want to vacuum through the Pentair DE. What can I do? Can I get someone out here to vacuum the pool with their own pump? I really dislike the previous owner of this pool right now...

Its not recommended to do a full drain for a vinyl IGP, it will wrinkle and shift. You can drain most of it by leaving at least a foot of water on the shallow end. That would make it easier to clean and scoop stuff out. You can also rent a pump from homedepot or lowes.

Felipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First results. I'm fairly confident, it was an easy process.

TA 30 ppm
CH 70 ppm
pH 7.0 maybe less? Very light yellow looking
CYA less than 30 ppm (went to very top of the tube could still see dot)
FC ~ .4ppm. 2 drops at 25ml
CC ~ .6 ppm 3 drops at 25ml

What's first. I know there is still some junk in the pool but I've scooped out a lot but I can't see the bottom either.

First results. I'm fairly confident, it was an easy process.

TA 30 ppm
CH 70 ppm
pH 7.0 maybe less? Very light yellow looking
CYA less than 30 ppm (went to very top of the tube could still see dot)
FC ~ .4ppm. 2 drops at 25ml
CC ~ .6 ppm 3 drops at 25ml

What's first. I know there is still some junk in the pool but I've scooped out a lot but I can't see the bottom either.
Question: Did the CYA mixture get cloudy at all, or did it look unchanged when you mixed things? If it clouded up some, so that the dot is a little hazy, figure you have 10 or 15 CYA now. If nothing happened, the previous owners either never added any or it broke down.

Your pH adjustment is going to be finicky with such low TA. I suggest starting by raising TA to about 60, give it a little time to mix, maybe give things a brush to help speed it up and go have a beer. Then recheck pH and TA. The pH might have risen a little and you're good, but if it hasn't, you'll want a good TA number to calculate the dose to raise pH to 7.2. As a point of interest... if the previous owners left any pool chemicals behind, let us know. You might be able to use some of them.

When pH is good, dose the pool to 10 FC, since there's no CYA. Then fumble with the sock and enough CYA granules to get to 30 ppm, and set that in the skimmer, provided it doesn't block the flow. And after that it's just test and bleach and brush and vacuum and repeat.

CYA never looked cloudy to me.

So Pool Calc says 144 oz baking soda by weight. I'll do that and check pH and TA again.

I'm kinda baffled what the previous owner did. There was a ton of stuff in the bottom of the pool and a winter cover. It was even winterized with antifreeze.

I will post an inventory of left over chemicals.

TA of 60 achieved.
pH still looks like 7.0 to me
Use either of the pH increasers to get to 7.2. Use the washing soda calculation in poolmath because that's what it is, just packaged fancier. Then you can use that liquid shock to get the FC up. I doubt if any of it is full strength anymore. Shoot for 10 FC, but don't be surprised if ten minutes after adding if its zero again due to weak bleach and green pool. When you can get a reading of 5 or better 10 minutes after adding, then you can add some CYA and commence a standard SLAM. You needn't wait for the CYA to dissolve to SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.