Mustard Algae???

TaraT

May 15, 2017
Downsville, LA
problem #1---How to tell if I have Mustard Algae or just dead algae or pollen?? Already vacuumed to waste but it back and now I am noticing some slight yellow on sides too. Brushes off very easily with brush and puffs away.

problem #2---I believe that the reason I am fighting high ph right now is because I mistakenly got TA and CYA too high. Therefore my ph keeps rising and even tho the FC was high at 9ppm it didn't seem to be keeping it sanitized. So I think i need to try and get y TA and CYA levels down and then work on ph and then sanitize or SLAM to get my water back right??

Help I am new but been researching a ton and am learning a lot.

Welcome to TFP!

What is your TA and CYA? As long as you maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times you won't have algae, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. TA and pH don't really have much to do with that in most cases.

If there is algae in the pool then follow the SLAM Process process to kill it and if you suspect there is mustard algae follow this after you complete plate the SLAM Process, Pool School - Mustard Algae

ok will post asap. i have a taylor 2006c and will test soon. also i was thinking i needed to get my CH to about 300-400ppm. But after browsing the site that doesn't seem to be what yall recommend for vinyl liner pool. what do you think my CH goal should be?? Thank you so much for replying. I am a budding pool geek. :)

ok here are my results. also water is slight cloudy at the moment.

ph-7.6
FC-8
CC-0.5
TA-130
CYA- is well above 100. on the Taylor comparator tube (if you are familiar) it reaches to top of CYA white letters)
CH-100
Salt-2750

What yall think?

ok thank you! just did CYA test again with 1:3 dilution and found that my CYA is about 115. also how does the .5 CC sound? so im thinking probably just high CYA rendering FC ineffective is what caused my cloudy/algae? problem. Also what do you think about my TA? Should i try to lower it? oh wait it will lower with the partial drain......lol

0.5 CC is ok. Yes, high CYA needs high FC based on this chart, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must stay above minimum at all times to kill algae and bacteria.

The TA is a little high, but not bad. It will push your pH up faster but adding acid to lower oh will also lower your TA slowly over time. Whether TA goes up or down with a partial drain depends on that the TA is in the fill water.

right ok thankyou! this is all my fault. :grrrr: :( i guess i messed up on something when i added CYA and Baking Soda while back. Also should i stop using dichlor for any shock needs and just switch to bleach? Also been seeing a lot of people reference BBB method. what exactly is that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so according to CYA/chlorine chart and Pool Math its telling me i would need to add like 20 gallons of bleach to reach a mustard algae shock level! wow! thats alot a bleach. would it not be better to try and reach those levels with bags from lowes or walmart labeled SHOCK?? Just don't want to have to handle 20 gallons of bleach if I don't have too. Also obviously I would like the cheapest route possible. FYI we are currently partially draining to get CYA down before we do anything. Using a hose and its taking hours. started last night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.