Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: voltage 12v 14.7v

1. Back To Top    #1

voltage 12v 14.7v

hi
    bought 2 new lights
    installed both lights but 1 light is not working, other light is working fine
    now the seller is saying its my fault the light is broke because my power supply gives 14.7 voltage and his light is only 12v
    which seems like a lot of bul to me?
    what you guys think?
    thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: voltage 12v 14.7v

Which lights do you have?
    LED light's are more sensitive to voltage differences, but a 12 volt rated light should be able to stand a couple volt variance.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

yes led light
    I measure around 13.9-14.4 volts

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Which lights do you have?
    LED light's are more sensitive to voltage differences, but a 12 volt rated light should be able to stand a couple volt variance.
    Not necessarily true but we can't say without knowing more about the LED bulbs you bought. Some poorly designed LED bulbs will not survive running 2.7 volts above their rating.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

5. Back To Top    #5

We really need to know the brand and model of the lights purchased.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

Unfortunately they don't give any specs on the ± voltage allowed. 12 volts AC or DC is all that's given.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Where did you measure the voltage, at the light or at the transformer?

Do you have any documentation on the lights? Do they specify the voltage requirements?

9. Back To Top    #9

12V transformers for pool lights do not have a regulated output. An unloaded transformer will have a higher output voltage is no load is applied than if there is a load. The amount of the load will determine the output voltage. LED lights have a much smaller load than incandescent lights do, so will not bring down the transformer output voltage as much as higher load incandescent lights will. Also, a higher wattage transformer will be less affected by load than a smaller transformer would be.

When you told your supplier that you transformer was putting out 14.7 Volts, where did you measure the voltage at?
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by gary300 View Post
    12V transformers for pool lights do not have a regulated output. An unloaded transformer will have a higher output voltage is no load is applied than if there is a load. The amount of the load will determine the output voltage. LED lights have a much smaller load than incandescent lights do, so will not bring down the transformer output voltage as much as higher load incandescent lights will. Also, a higher wattage transformer will be less affected by load than a smaller transformer would be.

When you told your supplier that you transformer was putting out 14.7 Volts, where did you measure the voltage at?
    I am surprised that you did not mention wire size as well. At these low voltages, the actual wire run could drop the voltage delivered to the light depending on the AWG size.
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter