Coverstar Cover came out of one side of track

mlyle11

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2011
Central Illinois
Hello all and thanks in advance for reading and thought! Pictures worth a thousand words attached.

This is what I found this AM. One side is pulled out. 15 years of using a cover, never had this.

This cover is 3 year old. I opened this weekend, had to do a bit of rope adjustment, cleaned and lubed the tracks and pulleys, and it was working great. This must have happened when I closed the cover last night.

I found an old thread with a similar description. All that was said was remove the end block and force the cover back. Then reinstall and all good. That makes sense and seems easy enough, except the part about "force the cover back".

I think... with careful bumping and guidance by hand, I can bump it back under power.

To note: I have never been happy with the service install of the new cover. The first one lasted 10 years, and then was in good shape except some fading and contact wear. This one doesn't run as smooth and almost seems like it was too wide... that another story. However, it has been working, but unlike the first 10 years, I have to adjust this one every season.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20170515_063938.jpg
    IMG_20170515_063938.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20170515_064018.jpg
    IMG_20170515_064018.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 114
Fixed...
So to get the cover back in, I took off the bump stop off (so I could "hold" the cover in line with the original path - otherwise you would be holding off to the side and risk cutting the cover on the bump stop), and with my wife bumping it back 1 foot at a time, it fed back in rather easily. Then once all the way back I took the cover off the end cap and set the cover back in place. It all went very smooth. However, this is where I think I found the problem.

The roper guide/rail end cap, what ever it is called. Was held in place with what looked like a deck screw and an Allen head. The Allen holds nothing, it is only headed on the top piece and acts as a guide in the lower piece. The deck screw goes through both and into the wood of the cover box. Well, as you can see the, deck screw was broken, and probably long ago.

Temp fix I put in another deck screw. Later today I will get a proper screw. As you can see by the picture of the other side (in the sun), it definitely does not use a deck screw. A deck screw would be too brittle for this area I think. Then again... maybe I want it to break as a sacrificial part? I think the other side is the original though.

I had to delete a few pics to add these new ones. Some one runs into this, feel free to email me ([email protected]).

Any way, back up and swimming!

Attachments

• IMG_20170515_080644.jpg
    IMG_20170515_080644.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20170515_080735.jpg
    IMG_20170515_080735.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 78
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.