Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Cyanuric Acid Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 Cyanuric Acid Test Results

Did this test several times inside my house with a sample from the pool. Every time the black dot never disappeared. Does this mean that I have extremely low cyanuric acid?
    Chicago burbs
    vinyl pool/40k gallons/sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 Cyanuric Acid Test Results

Yes, does that match what you were expecting?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

The test bottoms out at 30ppm. So if you have less than that, it would look like zero.

BUT, the test is meant to be done in outdoor bright lighting, not indoor lamp light. You should redo the test during the day. High noon sun works best. Back to the sun, tube at waist height, and only two fingers pinching the very top of the tube (you do not want to obstruct the entry of light).

Redo the test before making any chemical additions.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I did the test under a can light so don't think it will be much different but I will try it out. What is a desired level for a SW pool and is lower better or worse?

Chicago burbs
    vinyl pool/40k gallons/sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It makes a big difference. You want your back to the sun with tube down at your waist like JoyfulNoise advised. Under a can light or facing the sun the black dot can stay visible longer and give a false low reading.
    23k gal IG, plaster; IntelliPro 4 x 160 Variable Speed; STA-RITE S7M120 300 sqft cartridge filter; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; Pentair EasyTouch; Maytronics Dolphin Triton Plus robotic cleaner named "Domo" (arigato Mr. Roboto); Hot Spring Vanguard Spa, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, SampleSizer w/Taylor Calibrated Cylinders and FlowVis Flow Meter from TFTestkits.net. Auto fill and Auto drain. Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Humby81 View Post
    I did the test under a can light so don't think it will be much different but I will try it out. What is a desired level for a SW pool and is lower better or worse?
    The two (sunlight versus a can-light) can not even be compared. A bright sunny day (in indirect sun) has a luminous output of nearly 11,000 lux (>1000 foot-candle) while standard indoor lighting has a luminous output of 150-250 lux. Even an overcast day has 4X the luminous output of a ceiling light (~1000 lux versus 250 lux).

The test should be done outdoors in bright lighting to achieve proper results. As for recommended levels, please see this Pool School Article - Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

and is lower better or worse?
    Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

The TF-100 takes a larger sample and has good resolution down to 20 ppm. The k-2006 goes down to 30 ppm
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School