Bromine spa and chlorine pool- conflict?

horsegal

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2009
Riverside, CA
I was just reading another's post about shocking a bromine based spa. I know, I've been pool stored before, but I used to use a bromine floater with tabs (for 3 years), but the guy at the pool store( last summer) said I would be better off using granular bromine that can be used before entering the spa each time and that it also works as a shock. Is that true? is the first question. My spa is 400 gallons, above ground. I use about 3 tablespoons each time.

The next question I have is, my pool is chlorine based. Is there any problem going from the bromine based spa into the chlorine based pool and vice versa?

We use to have bromine spa- above ground (not attached to the above ground pool) and a baqua pool. It never seemed to cause a problem, but after converting from baqu to chlorine and watching all of the colors, I'm surprised we didn't have problems.

Thanks for your input.

horsegal said:
I was just reading another's post about shocking a bromine based spa. I know, I've been pool stored before, but I used to use a bromine floater with tabs (for 3 years), but the guy at the pool store( last summer) said I would be better off using granular bromine that can be used before entering the spa each time and that it also works as a shock. Is that true?
In a word. no unless the product is a combination of sodium bromide and MPS and in that case it's really not much different than using tablets, just more expensive and less convenient in most cases.
is the first question. My spa is 400 gallons, above ground. I use about 3 tablespoons each time.

The next question I have is, my pool is chlorine based. Is there any problem going from the bromine based spa into the chlorine based pool and vice versa?
Not really. If you want to be really sure then rinse off when going from the spa to the pool (the other way does not matter.
We use to have bromine spa- above ground (not attached to the above ground pool) and a baqua pool. It never seemed to cause a problem, but after converting from baqu to chlorine and watching all of the colors, I'm surprised we didn't have problems.
You were not transferring enough bromine to the spa to so much of anything.
Thanks for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.