Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bromine spa and chlorine pool- conflict?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bromine spa and chlorine pool- conflict?

I was just reading another's post about shocking a bromine based spa. I know, I've been pool stored before, but I used to use a bromine floater with tabs (for 3 years), but the guy at the pool store( last summer) said I would be better off using granular bromine that can be used before entering the spa each time and that it also works as a shock. Is that true? is the first question. My spa is 400 gallons, above ground. I use about 3 tablespoons each time.

The next question I have is, my pool is chlorine based. Is there any problem going from the bromine based spa into the chlorine based pool and vice versa?

We use to have bromine spa- above ground (not attached to the above ground pool) and a baqua pool. It never seemed to cause a problem, but after converting from baqu to chlorine and watching all of the colors, I'm surprised we didn't have problems.

Thanks for your input.
    10,000 gallons Splash Pool; cartridge filter; vinyl; AG; pump Sta-Rite 1 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bromine spa and chlorine pool- conflict?

There is no problem with having a bromine spa and a chlorine pool as long as they have independent plumbing.

waterbear has a wonderful writeup of the best way to manage a bromine spa.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Bromine spa and chlorine pool- conflict?

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal
    I was just reading another's post about shocking a bromine based spa. I know, I've been pool stored before, but I used to use a bromine floater with tabs (for 3 years), but the guy at the pool store( last summer) said I would be better off using granular bromine that can be used before entering the spa each time and that it also works as a shock. Is that true?
    In a word. no unless the product is a combination of sodium bromide and MPS and in that case it's really not much different than using tablets, just more expensive and less convenient in most cases.
    is the first question. My spa is 400 gallons, above ground. I use about 3 tablespoons each time.

The next question I have is, my pool is chlorine based. Is there any problem going from the bromine based spa into the chlorine based pool and vice versa?
    Not really. If you want to be really sure then rinse off when going from the spa to the pool (the other way does not matter.
    We use to have bromine spa- above ground (not attached to the above ground pool) and a baqua pool. It never seemed to cause a problem, but after converting from baqu to chlorine and watching all of the colors, I'm surprised we didn't have problems.
    You were not transferring enough bromine to the spa to so much of anything.
    Thanks for your input.