Want pool but scared of leveling process!!!

May 12, 2017
Beloit WI
We live in southern WI and really want to install AG pool (at least 18' round) but we are so uncertain as to the best way to proceed with the leveling of our yard. We had someone come out last spring to give us an estimate and he scared us to death saying it would cost as much as the pool itself, so we didn't move on it.
Here we are a year later getting the fever again! I've read several articles on how to DIY and it seems so difficult. The last thing I want to do is try it and then put the pool up and it be a complete disaster!
Any recommendations on how to do it or in specific articles to read for guidance? I saw a thread on here in which the writer referred to making "a huge sandbox" with 4x4s. Is making the 4x4 box where you start?
Please help!!! Lol

Welcome to TFP hopefully we will be able to help you get your pool up safe and sound.
By far your best bet is to dig down and make a level spot in your yard. Those of us with hills for a yard that method is difficult. How far out of level is your yard? Pics would help.
What type of pool are you looking to put up, Intex soft side type or traditional hard sided AGP?

The sandbox route is not ideal and it will cost a good amount to do correctly. I pulled it off in my build, link below, but I don't recommend it.

I just recently went thru this process ! I contacted a local guy with a skidsteer and he wanted 100 bucks a hour, so thru that idea out ! I have a older farm tractor and a heavy scraper blade and plow.....took many hours but I was able to get it done myself.....I had to take out about 30 inches on the steep side !! But once I was done & pool filled I was in 1/4 inch of level ! If u do it yourself buy rent or borrow a transit...the level on a 2x4 is NOT the way to go......maybe U know a friend or farmer with a tractor ??

ok, 2 years ago we bought a used ( ?10 yrs old) I think a Doughboy 18 ft diameter 4 ft high. We had a 35 ft x 35 ft almost area with 8 " of gravel round rock and prairie clay/sand under it. I did 98% of the renovation and install with moving the gravel and soil and I have a spine fusion 20 yrs ago. I did it with no laser level as it cost $75 a day and I know it might take me a week to dig here and then dig there to level. I used a bunyip home made. I am with in 1/4-maybe 1/2" level. I made it for $15. I think the hardest part was foreseeing any problems like it's better to dig the dirt out than try to add soil in as the soil there is nicely compacted and the soil I try to move from high to low spots is soft. Things sink in soft sand/dirt. I watched some you tube videos on bunyips also. My thought is do as much as you can with bunyips and levels and then rent a laser level to be sure. I did not bring in any sand. I decided to level the dirt. I threw down some very very heavy really old smelly carpet, yep ripe with dog pee. Some people said old carpet gets even more stinky with kids splashing but mine has not. The pool is not in a wet area and in CO we have very low humidity. On top of the carpet I installed ?1/2" foam, now I for get if it's pink or blue-makes a difference. I used Gorrilla tape to do the seems. It was extremely hot doing this taping and never do on a windy day. I laid cement 12 "x12 " pavers under the posts BUT I think it best to put pavers all the way around to support the rails. The post and rails kept shifting and sometimes went off the small pavers. So the hardest part was the foam taping and the liner. the leveling was time consuming but not maddening. My husband helped hold the metal wall up as I went around the rail and set the side. He helped a few other places but I basically did it all. AND before you fill the area back in consider having the copper wire going around the pool for safety. I stupidly pushed all the pebbles back around the pool and have to redig to put the copper wire around the pool. Yah I wish I had a skid steer but I don't. I'm old with arthritis and a brain problem so some things were hard to understand but reading stuff here I got it done. Pool is up 2 yrs, 3rd season coming up.

Just take Richards advice and make a water level!!! It is spot on! CAN NOT thank him enough for the advice!!!
I spent like $4 making the water level (also known as a bunyip- you can YouTube it) and about 10 minutes of time!
I'm a single mom, so I made the one I can use by myself! But there are ones you can make if you have someone to hold the other side!
Good luck!!

I rented a sod-cutter from Home Deport for ~$80/4 hours, and it was worth every penny! The sod cutter's depth is adjustable, so after clearing my initial circle, I could come back and shave off the high bits of ground until my water level said I was in good shape.

Welcome to TFP hopefully we will be able to help you get your pool up safe and sound.
By far your best bet is to dig down and make a level spot in your yard. Those of us with hills for a yard that method is difficult. How far out of level is your yard? Pics would help.
What type of pool are you looking to put up, Intex soft side type or traditional hard sided AGP?

The sandbox route is not ideal and it will cost a good amount to do correctly. I pulled it off in my build, link below, but I don't recommend it.

Attached should be a picture of the section of yard where I think would be best.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 187

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That should be pretty easy to dig up the sod and start at the lowest level. Anyone who is trying to charge you thousands is out of their mind considering the site you have chosen.

So I'm in the process now. 22' pool. Had go down about 7" on half the circle. I was able to bring home some equipment from work to get it pretty close. My question is this. How important is it to have the floor absolutely level versus the blocks I'll use for the legs. I feel if the blocks are perfect and the floor is a little off it should be ok right. Leveling a 22' circle by hand is no fun.

We are in the middle of leveling a 26' circle for a 24' AGP. It's definitely some work, but I am also using a home made water level, and we are moving right along. This will be our 3rd AGP install. The last two were Intex, 10' and 15'. I learned from experience that this is the step to take my time on and make sure it's done right. Once I am satisfied everything is level, the pool will go up in a day, plus filling. The hardest part is the kids chomping at the bit to get it done asap, but I am insisting this time to get it as level as humanly possible. They will thank me later!

That should be pretty easy to dig up the sod and start at the lowest level. Anyone who is trying to charge you thousands is out of their mind considering the site you have chosen.

I would like to keep pool up all year, so I'm wondering what to do ...
once grass is removed and ground is level, should we avoid sand entirely and just put gorilla pad on dirt then liner? Or should we put tarp, gorilla pad then liner? I've read using foam in a permanent installation isn't recommended so I'm guessing the gorilla pad is the next option. ???
Also what is your opinion on wall foam?
Thank you!!!

Get lots of bids. Some excavators don't like doing pools since they are smaller jobs. My pool is only 21 feet and our ground is mostly clay. The first guys I talked to quoted $500 if under 4 hours, $1000 if over. They really wanted to do a retaining wall and were not all that interested in our little job. Two guys flat out said they were too busy.

Best quote came from a guy who does a lot of pools. He said his charges range from $180 to $300 so I had him come out to give a true estimate. Final price will be $200, and he is going to have to dig down a couple feet on the high side due to our slope. Once I have the liner I'll have him come out to dig.

I was worrying about borrowing tractors, renting a transit, etc but for $200 I'll let a professional handle it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.