Houston, TX
FC -- 18
CC -- 24
TA - 100
CH - 450
CYA - 100
PH - 7.5
Temp: 82

All tests were double checked with the TF-100 test kit borrowed from the neighbor to test it out.

Where do I get started getting this pool back in shape?

1) I've turned off the auto-chlorinator. Obviously I have excessively high FC and the TriChlor tablets have caused my CYA to get crazy high.

2) I've bought liquid chlorine bleach but it may take a few days to get back down and need any.

3) I can't pump water out to the street but I can add water and displace (much to the annoyance of the dog walkers in neighborhood who hate puddles). Wait for heavy rains?

Tex,

Since 100 is the max for the CYA test, your real number could be much higher. Mix pool with an equal part of tap water. Run the CYA test again and multiple your answer by 2..

You really need to get your CYA down.. let's hope it rains soon... :p

Double checked or not, I can't believe your CC level is actually 24.. Something is just not right...

I suggest you let you neighbors run a set of tests and see what they get..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Tex,

Since 100 is the max for the CYA test, your real number could be much higher. Mix pool with an equal part of tap water. Run the CYA test again and multiple your answer by 2..

You really need to get your CYA down.. let's hope it rains soon... :p

Double checked or not, I can't believe your CC level is actually 24.. Something is just not right...

I suggest you let you neighbors run a set of tests and see what they get..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks, will triple check FC / CC with supervision, and redo the CYA test with 50/50 pool and tap water then multiply by two.

I have a sense CYA is insanely high which scares me. Rain in the forecast but not much!

Thanks!

Tex,

What does your water look like?

The CYA test needs to be run in full bright sunlight.. Was the sun up when you ran the tests? I suspect the 140 is closer to being right than 100 was.

I have never seen a CC level that high before... so I'm still puzzled..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Fired Pool Guy, Done Pool School, Have Kit & Test Results

Water is crystal clear, no visible issues.

The sun just went down behind the garage but it was in full bright sun all day today.

I'm sorry I posted the results of the CC test totally wrong. I was adding it to FC thinking I was giving you the Total Chlorine (TC) number.

CC is actually 1.

My confusion....

eb7f99b98152a3f23fb43e6c210da34a.jpg

2dfe599694a1739db3d673a4aac419f2.jpg

Pics of high water clarity if this helps.

I would suspect that the 19 is not CC but TC. So CC would be 1.

With that high of CYA there is most likely algae of some amount in the pool. A major water exchange is needed. At least 2/3rds. But in Houston you need to be very careful of ground water. Do not float the pool! It may take a few water changes to get to 50 CYA.

Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm the outlier here, I don't think high CYA in a clear pool is a reason to push the panic button immediately.

The first thing to do is prove nothing is growing in the water. We do that by conducting an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If that passes then the water is clear. The "best" way to ge the CYA under control is an immediate water exchange. But, with that eingmsaidmyou can also take your time. My CYA was around 250 when I bought my house and I took about 18 months to slowly get it down. I rigged up a system to capture rain water from the roof gutters and when I had a few minutes I did a small drain/refill. Now, my water authority has separate meters for "outside" water, so I didn't have to pay sewer fees for these small drain/refills. Check with your water provider to see if they have a discount system for a pool fill.

Now, if you follow the "slow" method you have to keep the FC at a minimum of 11, I would shoot for 13/14. The problem with high FC is that above FC 10 it can cause an abnormally high pH reading on the pH test. So, at times you will have to allow the FC to drop to get an accurate test.

Tex,

If your water rates are high, then what Tim says makes a lot of sense...

But, I live in Texas and I can fill my 17K pool for $50. For me, anyway, $50 is a lot less than the effort it takes to maintain a pool with high CYA.

I suggest you call your city a see what is what.. here in Bedford, if you tell them you want to fill a pool, they don't charge for the sewer fee..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Understood.

I'll read up on doing an OCLT test.

Regarding something being in the pool, it's plausible I have algae living inside the pool loungers which I can't see? Perhaps I should take them out and wash the insides with bleach.

Thankfully I have a separate meter for the pool and irrigation. My current plan is when it rains to start pumping water full force into the pool so the displacement occurs during rainfall and the street isn't abnormally wet. Even still this won't displace 2/3 and I may even be washing out brand new fresh water simultaneously. What I really need to do is pump water out and refill some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.