Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Bleach Brand - "Top Job"

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Bleach Brand - "Top Job"

First time buying bleach in bulk after I've fired the pool guy.

Looking at Top Job liquid chlorine bleach at Walmart. $1.00 for 96oz, seems like s good price. No active ingredient information is listed. Anyone used this or know anything about it?

s

~19,000 gal. in-ground gunite/plaster pool; Wet Edge French Grey Plaster; Avg. Depth = 4.7'; Full Sunlight (8+ hours); 6x6 spa raised 24" above pool and spills over coral stone into pool with Jandy 1 HP 240V blower (8 jets); 3 Sheer Descent 24" Waterfalls with a Jandy 1.5 HP waterfall pump; Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner; Polaris Booster Pump; Jandy 3 HP Pump; Zodiac LXI 400kbtu nat gas heater; Zodiac 460sq ft Cartridge Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Bleach Brand - "Top Job"

If it does not list the percent concentration then is probably really low and not worth it as it is likely you're mostly salt water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok I think I'll go with this then...have to get something and nothing else here.

Doesn't seem like the best deal (you tell me) but it's $3.22/gal for 10% concentration.

~19,000 gal. in-ground gunite/plaster pool; Wet Edge French Grey Plaster; Avg. Depth = 4.7'; Full Sunlight (8+ hours); 6x6 spa raised 24" above pool and spills over coral stone into pool with Jandy 1 HP 240V blower (8 jets); 3 Sheer Descent 24" Waterfalls with a Jandy 1.5 HP waterfall pump; Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner; Polaris Booster Pump; Jandy 3 HP Pump; Zodiac LXI 400kbtu nat gas heater; Zodiac 460sq ft Cartridge Filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure you check the manufacture date. It should begin with 17 (for 2017) and then the next numbers are the day of the year. Newer is better. I see on box in your pic the date is 17026. That would mean it was manufactured on January 26, 2017. That's old for bleach, which means it probably won't be at 10% strength any more.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Make sure you check the manufacture date. It should begin with 17 (for 2017) and then the next numbers are the day of the year. Newer is better. I see on box in your pic the date is 17026. That would mean it was manufactured on January 26, 2017. That's old for bleach, which means it probably won't be at 10% strength any more.
    Thanks for this knowledge. I'll be more careful of date in the future. Guess I'll have to use the 6 bottles I got for now and adjust the strength in my calculations to perhaps 8-9%.

6. Back To Top    #6

8cd8fc63d38979737871e0f49ba75130.jpg

Lol, Walmart. I bought a bunch of the same stuff at our Walmart, stored in the same manner, and with the same date code (January 2017).

They don't seem to keep much on hand here, though, so I'm sure I'll be switching over to the 8.25% Great Value before too much longer.
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    8cd8fc63d38979737871e0f49ba75130.jpg

Lol, Walmart. I bought a bunch of the same stuff at our Walmart, stored in the same manner, and with the same date code (January 2017).

They don't seem to keep much on hand here, though, so I'm sure I'll be switching over to the 8.25% Great Value before too much longer.
    I actually couldn't find any of the Great Value bleach other than concentrated for High Efficiency washing machines. Is that OK to use?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Most likely. As long as it doesn't say splash less or scented. Concentrated usually means it's 8.25%. But check the label to be sure. They like to change things some times.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir