Pool Cleaner Won't Go To Shallow End

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
I have a Hayward "The Pool Cleaner" (looks a lot like this).

The problem I am having is it never goes into the shallow end. My pool is about 14 feet wide and 34 feet long. The deep end is 6 feet, the shallow end is 3 feet. The skimmer basket is in the deep end. There are 3 return jets; one in the shallow end pointing straight back, then one on each side about half way back, angled towards the skimmer.

My best guess is the cleaner can't get to the shallow end because the water flow is pulling the cleaner hose back towards the deep end. That combined with the incline up to the shallow end results in there is always dirt and debris in the shallow end and the deep end looks great.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any tricks for it? Are there better pool cleaners that might do a better job?

Thanks,

The problem I am having is it never goes into the shallow end. My pool is about 14 feet wide and 34 feet long. The deep end is 6 feet, the shallow end is 3 feet. The skimmer basket is in the deep end. There are 3 return jets; one in the shallow end pointing straight back, then one on each side about half way back, angled towards the skimmer.

My best guess is the cleaner can't get to the shallow end because the water flow is pulling the cleaner hose back towards the deep end. That combined with the incline up to the shallow end results in there is always dirt and debris in the shallow end and the deep end looks great.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any tricks for it? Are there better pool cleaners that might do a better job?

Thanks,

Only trick I have is to get a robot. Sorry. I just ditched my pressure side cleaner and booster for that exact reason. And a now have a vacuuming/filtering beast named Earl. Different kind but I tried all manor of jet adjustments and no luck getting to shallow water with any frequency.

Thanks,

couple things you can try -

First thing to do in increase the suction by changing out the throat piece. (or if you have a variable RPM pump try upping the RPM a few hundred.)
Then I'd play with a hose weight in different locations.
You can also try pointing the returns down.
If you have a flow keeper type device on the first hose you can try adjusting that.

Suction side cleaners often spend lots of time in the shallow end, and how often they make it to the shallow end is a metric I watch closely.

My T5 is very aggressive and heads right for the shallow end 100% more often than my G3 does with the same pump RPM and wattage.
My MX-8 elite also spends a good amount of time in the shallow end although not as much as the T5.

Let us know if any of these techniques help out.

UD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.