Algae identification and replaster suggestion ???

Jun 1, 2015
houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi all,
I have this algae for about a month and i thought scrubbing and having the pump run longer (producing more chlorine) will get rid of it. But no luck so far as it just keep coming back. It feels little sticky on the bottom too. There are spotted dark algae on the side wall too. I have cleaned cartridge filter couple of weeks ago. I was about to start SLAM but thought of get lesalie's opinion. They said this is black algae and since my pool is 12 years old i have to re plaster the pool and this is the only way to get rid of this algae. Below is the today's water chemistry. Can any one please guide me to get rid of the algae.

FAC - 1.5
TAC - 1.5
Salt - 3300
CH - 220
CYA - 60
TA - 80
View attachment 61069View attachment 61070

HI supersteel

Based on those test results, you certainly have inadequate chlorine levels which is an invitation for algae, but we are suspect of store testing too.

Does this algae brush into a cloud when you brush it?

Hi there, and welcome to TFP. This site is filled with amazing information and even more amazing individuals who will help you find the solution to just about any pool related problem you can imagine.

I just did a little google search about algae causing a need for replastering of your pool. From what I read, prolonged algae can allow roots to degrade the plaster. If you've only had this issue a month or so, I would not think that to be an issue.

What we know for certain, is that replastering is definitely not required to rid your pool of any algae outbreak.

My first an most important suggestion for you would be to get your own test kit that provides tests for each of the parameters listed in your results above and never set foot in a pool store again! Ok, maybe not never again because they do have some fun stuff, but they are definitely not the pool experts you imagine. I ordered to TF-100 with the speed stir. All in just over $100. The best money you'll ever spend on this journey to a beautiful sparkling oasis.

Please understand that the process to rid your pool of this algae requires a commitment to keeping your chlorine at an increased level for what could be weeks in order to be rid of this algae once and for all. To do that, the SWG will not do the trick. You will need gallons upon gallons of liquid chlorine and will need to redose several times each day to keep the chlorine at the SLAM level.

This commitment and money required may seem daunting, but I assure you it is way less troublesome or expensive than a replaster.

Please read the instructions on this site for SLAMming a pool for complete clarity on the process and ask any questions you have in this thread. Plenty of people here are happy to assist.

Hi there, and welcome to TFP. This site is filled with amazing information and even more amazing individuals who will help you find the solution to just about any pool related problem you can imagine.

I just did a little google search about algae causing a need for replastering of your pool. From what I read, prolonged algae can allow roots to degrade the plaster. If you've only had this issue a month or so, I would not think that to be an issue.

What we know for certain, is that replastering is definitely not required to rid your pool of any algae outbreak.

My first an most important suggestion for you would be to get your own test kit that provides tests for each of the parameters listed in your results above and never set foot in a pool store again! Ok, maybe not never again because they do have some fun stuff, but they are definitely not the pool experts you imagine. I ordered to TF-100 with the speed stir. All in just over $100. The best money you'll ever spend on this journey to a beautiful sparkling oasis.

Please understand that the process to rid your pool of this algae requires a commitment to keeping your chlorine at an increased level for what could be weeks in order to be rid of this algae once and for all. To do that, the SWG will not do the trick. You will need gallons upon gallons of liquid chlorine and will need to redose several times each day to keep the chlorine at the SLAM level.

This commitment and money required may seem daunting, but I assure you it is way less troublesome or expensive than a replaster.

Please read the instructions on this site for SLAMming a pool for complete clarity on the process and ask any questions you have in this thread. Plenty of people here are happy to assist.

You are right. A good test kit is a must for control of the pool.

Black algae is a different beast from that normal green or mustard that is irradicated with SLAM.

Great post of encouragement but black algae is a different beast and requires different treatment. We need to find out if this is black algae or not.

You're correct that it's a different beast, but the procedure listed here is the same for black algae at first, with an additional step if SLAM isn't producing "noticeable results" after a few days to a week of treatment.

Here's a screenshot of how to determine if what you have is in fact black algae.

0aa138ac338410023f50642cfca2fb73.png

HI supersteel

Based on those test results, you certainly have inadequate chlorine levels which is an invitation for algae, but we are suspect of store testing too.

Does this algae brush into a cloud when you brush it?

Yes after brush it spreads to the whole pool and once i finish brushing pool water color changes to little greenish.

I do have the test kit and this time lesalie's results were in line with what i had except salt level.

So should i be fine once i start scrubbing and follow the SLAM process, considering this may be regular or mustered algae ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.