Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA too high...Please advise

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA too high...Please advise

Hello to all! I am a newbie trying to weave my way through Pool School. Good info on TFP.

I am wondering if I need to drain my pool (partially). The Pool Calculator suggests a 38% drain. Is this the ideal way to reduce both my CYA and Salt Levels?

Results:

PH 7.5
    TA 70
    FC 11
    CC 0
    CH 325
    CYA 130
    Salt 4800 ppm

Taylor Kit Taylor K-2006 was used

-----I was thinking about renting a submersible pump from Home Depot if I needed to drain the pool.----

Please advise, Thanks!
    20K gal, 15X30, IG, Plaster, Pentair VF-3050 Intelliflo Pump, Pentair Clean&Clear Cartridge Filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA too high...Please advise

A drain and refill are the only ways to reduce CYA and salt. A "38%" drain would get you down to CYA 80 and salt 2800. In practice you won't be able to measure the drained water that precisely; estimate how far down a 1/3 drain would be, and overshoot some, because if you're doing it in one shot you'd rather lower your levels too far than not enough. (Easier to raise them back up than lower them further.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA too high...Please advise

Sounds good. I will estimate how much to drain and overshoot. Thanks for your help!

Dave
    20K gal, 15X30, IG, Plaster, Pentair VF-3050 Intelliflo Pump, Pentair Clean&Clear Cartridge Filter, SWG