Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pipe repair help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pipe repair help

Hello. Since switching to this system I no longer use my Hayward chlorinator. It started to leak so I decided to take it out. Sadly I've made a mess of it. There were some holes in the pipe where the fittings went. I cut that section out and replaced a small piece of pipe with a repair coupling but it is leaking. I think I know what I did. I used regular 2" pvc fittings. I believe I should have used a longer fitting? I noticed after I did it that the elbows and joints have different fittings than what I got at lowes? Maybe they are made for pressure and what I have is made for drains? If so where can I buy the correct fittings? Also is the purple primer and pvc cement ok to use? Or do I need something else? I know I will have to cut a bigger section out to remove my bad work.
    Thanks for the help!!!
    15,000gal, IG plaster, DE filter, Centurian 2HP pump, Raypak propane heater, built in 2005, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pipe repair help

All pool plumbing should be Schedule 40 PVC. There is also a thinner walled type of PVC tubing and fittings that is used for Drain/Waste/Vent (DWV) applications; that PVC is not rated for pool use.

Perhaps if you post some pictures of why you have, some of the plumbing experts can help guide you better.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

IMG_2134.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIt is schedule 40. Notice how the fittings I used are not as long as original? Is that why it leaks?
    15,000gal, IG plaster, DE filter, Centurian 2HP pump, Raypak propane heater, built in 2005, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

That seems like alot of fittings for what can be a single run. I am also not sure it matters but I know that there is a spa cement it's blue.

33k IG Gunite, Hayward T-15 Cell SWG, Hayward Sand Filter S210T , Pump Wisper Flo 1.5 HP, Test Kit K-2006