Pool light socket shouldn't be draining water should it?

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
I drained my inground pool today below the level of the light, and its been draining water for over 12 hours. You cant actually see running or dripping water, but the wall below it is constantly wet when everything else is bone dry. If I remember correctly, it did it for DAYS when we had it re-done. The guys told me that was normal, but that makes no sense to me. If its groundwater coming out of the light, why wouldn't pool water go into the ground? Weve got a significant leak somewhere, but I always figured its the cracks we are dealing with. Could the light be part of it? I've never pulled it out, so I don't know whats behind there, but it must be just a conduit or something for the wire to run through, right?

Yes, light niches and the conduit behind them can both leak. Usually the problem is in the conduit. Very rarely the niche it's self has cracked.

Behind the light there is a niche, a hollow space, that the light fits into. At the back of the niche there will be a conduit that is normally full of water (when there is water in the pool). It is not too unusual for the conduit to crack or break, allowing the pool to leak or ground water to get in.

When there is a leak in the conduit, the usual fix is to take the light out of the niche and set it aside temporarily, and then use epoxy putty to seal the opening where the conduit connects. The light needs to remain connected to it's wire through out the this process. Hopefully there is enough wire that the light can be set on the deck while you are working on the niche.

So basically I'd just be jamming the epoxy all around the wire where it enters the conduit, keeping the wire still until the pooky dried so the seal would remain intact? I don't think it will reach the deck, as I remember it just hanging down the wall the whole time our remodel was going on. I could tie it up to the diving board right above it, though. Thanks for the help!

I've been wanting to change to one of the multi-color LED lights anyway, maybe now would be a good time...

I pulled the light today and it seems that the water is leaking out through what appears to be a joint between two pieces. Are those niches ever two-piece construction, or is that just an indention that I'm seeing? I can towel off the water, and it immediately comes running out at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position shown in the attached pics. I guess I could scrape out the groove and epoxy it. Anyone have a similar experience?

Attachments

• P1040107.jpg
    P1040107.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 145
Just wanted to ask this question again, as I'm wondering if it might be my problem on losing water. As mentioned before, when the pool was drained, water was coming out of what appears to be a joint between the front edge of the niche. I cant tell though if thats actually a joint or just an indentation?

I guess I could epoxy all around it and see if the water loss slows?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.