Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Grid DIY

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Grid DIY

I am pretty handy and I have read a few articles about replacing DE Grids. I am wondering if it is as easy as they make it sound? I have a Pentair 24 FNS Plus. Before cracking this thing open, how do I know what size grids to buy? Also, I have no idea how many gallons my pool is but I'm sure there is something wrong with the grids because powder is coming back into the pool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. -J

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Grid DIY

There is a DE filter cleaning sticky in the pump forum that might help. It is easy, but tricky to put things back together.

I would pull it apart to find the problem before ordering parts.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jay,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for those handy DIY pool owners...

I would make sure of the model number of your filter before ordering anything. If like others I have seen, it will have a label listing FNS 24, 36, 48, and 60.. In theory there should be a mark on the one you have, but often the mark is gone or confusing.

The filter size (length) is half the number of Sq. feet of the filter.. So, an FNS 24 sq. ft. filter, has grids that are only 12" long.. etc... a 36 sq. ft. filter has grids that are 18" long. So once you get it open you can confirm the model number of your filter.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jim. I found the simplest explanation of how grid size relates to model number, if it helps anyone else. Kinda funny too. DE Filter Grid Replacement and Cleaning Tricks for HAYWARD, PENTAIR, AMERICAN D.E. POOL FILTERS - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are the least bit handy replacing the grids will be easy. Just look and note how they are in as you take them apart. I think most of these are alike and the youtube videos you'll find will point this out, you'll have 8 or so of them and one of them will be different, it will go in a special spot, just note where that one goes. You won't have any trouble at all with the help documents on here and a quick search on the subject for youtube. Spend 30 minutes watching 2 or 3 videos and you are set. For taking apart, cleaning/inspecting and reassembling allow a couple of hours.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

6. Back To Top    #6

Jay,

Thanks for the link.. that guy is a hoot!!

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

So after I saw Jim's comment I had to go watch the video - pretty funny and a good set of instructions. The only thing I'd in addition to all of the comments is to start with a backwash and it will remove most of the DE and make opening and cleaning easier if you've already removed a lot of the DE and garbage that has collected in it.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015