Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Itchy spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Itchy spa

Had this problem last year. Swimming in the pool felt fine. In the spa with temp at 100F , legs felt itchy. Saltwater pool and spa. Unfortunately used test strips so feel my numbers were inaccurate or incomplete. Using test kit this year. Any ideas?
    20k gallon IG pool & spa, pebble, Aquapure PLC1400 SWG
    Jandy DE filter mod # DEV60, Raypak 399k BTU heater
    Jandy pumps, 2.0 hp for pool, 1.5 hp for spa
    Polaris cleaner, 2' sheer descent

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Itchy spa

Welcome to TFP!

Most itchy skin spa problems are caused by lack of chlorine allowing bacteria to grow. Bacteria grows much faster in warm spa water than in pools and requires more diligence with maintains FC, including retest after adding to make sure it didn't drop to 0. Also, very high pH and/or TA can be slightly irritating to skin also. TA is best around 50 and pH 7.6 to 7.8.

More here about balancing water in a hot tub, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

I've used this process for quite a few years now and it works great. I also had some trouble with itchy skin early on. Haven't had any problems in many years and we use it almost daily in fall and winter until the pool opens up.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I need some more help though. When my pool is on, water from the spa flows into it through spillway. My current numbers are:
    FC 5
    PH 7.4
    TA 90
    CH 260
    CYA 80
    CC 0
    Salt 3200
    Water temperature 64
    Water tested was from the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Aha, well that changes things a bit. Those numbers are fine for pH, TA and CH. I would still be inclined to check FC before, during and after when using the spa to see if FC is dropping to 0. Running that temp up to 100 can use up chlorine pretty quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

So I tested my water and got these numbers:
    FC 5
    PH 7.4
    TA 90
    Then I heated the spa to 99. FC and TA were unchanged but PH was up to 8.0
    Any suggestions?

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the FC after 30 or 45 minutes uses?
    TFP Moderator