DE filter grids pop off the pipe in the container and DE goes into my pool

May 14, 2017
Katy, Texas
I have done our own pool for years and last month my neighbors pool guy asked if he could clean our DE filter at the same time he did our neighbors pool. I knew it was on my to do list that week and I had a busy week so decided I would just pay him to do it. Right after he cleaned it my pool DE was all over my pool. I called him back and he checked it and said the filter grids had popped off the pipe it attaches to in the container, so he reconnected it and dumped more de in the filter which came out again. He said he had it in backwash so decided to put it on filter the next time he started it up. (I have never done it in backwash so was a little confused why he would be doing that) It did work for a few hours and then popped off again. He came back again and put a piece of styrofoam on top of the grids to hold it in place and put it back together again. (I thought that was a little crazy) 3 days later it did it again. This time I decided to clean it my self. Worked great for about a month until I went to set up the pool to salt instead of chlorine. After installing everything I started the pool up and it did it again. The pool store said to make sure there was no DE inside the grids from when the pool guy backwashed it so I did that and it seems to be working again but it's only been a few days. o-ring is good on the pipe and all grids are in great shape. If anyone knows if something else could be causing this I would be forever grateful :) Cleaning all the DE out of my pool is a nightmare! I have a Purex-titon NSF Plus filter

I have a Purex-titon NSF Plus

- - - Updated - - -

Mine looks the same as you are saying.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 threaded rods that hold the grids in place. The grids are fine, the problem is the entire thing lifts off the pipe that it connects to inside the container.

Sorry for any confusion in my post. I'm new to the forum and still trying to figure out how to operate it lol.

About all I can think of ios that somebody put the wrong grids in. The only differences in the various side filters are the heights of the grids and the standpipe and the upper shell. There shouldn't be room for the whole assembly to lift off; it should hit the top before it comes off the pipes. But if yours was a 60 and they put 48 grids in without thinking things through.... or replaced the lid with a taller one.... That's all I can think of. I;m out of ideas. Check out the exploded parts list http://www.poolcenter.com/medias/manuals/pentair-fns-de-filter-OM.pdf

Thanks. I'll take out the grids and check the size to be on the safe side. What doesn't make sense is they were the same grids for over a year with no issues unless the pool guy switched them out. The problem started when I hired the pool guy to clean the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.