Hardness Question

Hypothetical question.

If I have a pool that according to the Saturation Index is at 0.0 for perfectly balanced, but the calcium hardness of the pool is 800ppm, is there still a possibility for scaling since it's above the recommended 400ppm? Also, at what ppm of calcium will water not be able to dissolve anymore calcium?

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, depending on what else happens in the pool sure it's possible, and with less than 800. Scaling is dependant on more than one factor. Not assuming you don't realize that, but it needs to be said. I don't know the answer to your second question, but whatever that value is, it's impractical to apply it to any likely pool scenario. Maybe you're just a curious sort like me, so I'm curious why you ask that.

I deal with this constantly with my pool. You can still get scaling in areas with poor water circulation. It's not too hard to keep the CSI neutral up to about 800 CH, but as the water gets warmer, your ability to tweak pH and TA to keep it there gets smaller and smaller. And of course, CH is going to keep creeping up. It's time to start replacing some water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.