Pump losing prime when turned off.

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Having some trouble with my pump basket draining a few minutes after it is turned off. Checked/lubed the basket o-ring and drain plugs, issue persists. I'm fairly certain the leak is past the pump as I can turn a ball-valve that sits between my pump and filter and it stops the basket from draining (as its happening.) No bubbles in pump basket or from returns while operating the pump normally.

From other threads, my next guess was to replace the spider gasket. I just replaced the top of the multi-port 3 years ago. I would think the gasket would be good for more than 2 seasons right?

Also, any advice on the leak would be appreciated. Any other avenues I should take before the spider gasket? As for troubleshooting, I have NO check valve, and cannot shut off flow to main drain or skimmers individually.

Thanks.

Since you are able to use that ball valve to isolate air getting into the system from the pressure side, I would be inclined to focus on the multiport valve or perhaps an air bleeder on your filter if you have one. Even though the gasket is new, perhaps it got pinched or something while turning. I believe there's also a small o-ring that seals the multiport handle shaft as well right? Pressure side leaks can be so small that you won't always see water spurting-out when the system is on, but air can seep-in when the system is off. If you have anything else after the pump, I would inspect that closely as well. Let us know how it turns out.

I agree with Texas Splash.....somewhere on the pressure side, air is getting sucked in.

Pump running, can you see ANY water leak anywhere from the base of the pump to the pipes going underground?

Sometimes, you can turn off the pump (after it's primed) and hear a tiny 'hiss" that might help identify it.

It's there and will likely be an easy fix......finding it is often the big job.

No air bleeder valve. I do have 2 small drips, one from the filter drain plug and one from the pressure gauge, however, had those last season and don't recall having the issue.

When turned off, I do hear a hiss near the backwash pipe (I have a hard-piped line) and lots of gurgling from the multi port.

I did open it up the multi-port a couple of weeks ago to inspect so will start there for root cause.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.