My 120v wired spa now trying to run on 240v

Tek169

May 13, 2017
Atlanta
Hi all!

I have a 2012 Marquis Celebrity spa with an Aquaflow XP2 2 speed 115v pump motor using Balboa BP series controls (maybe BP500 equivalent?) labeled MQREVUM -PN 56286 that is wired for 120v and has been installed and running for over a year. The top display/control panel looks like the Balboa TP400T, could be a different model but mine looks exactly like it with the button setup.

Last month my heater element died and I just put in a replacement. Now that I have it back up and running it says it's running on 240v and my low speed filter setting won't run but the light comes on, I hit the button again and the high speed kicks on and the jets run.
The label inside the enclosure cover shows setup #1 which I verified it's on but I can't figure out where my issue is if my low speed burned out or my circuit board or programming is messed up. It's on a 120v cord with a GFCI plug on a 15amp 120v breaker as required so I don't see how it's trying to run at 240v.

Any help is appreciated.

Did you accidentally switch the #2 dip switch to on when you replaced the heater?
Did you hook the new heater up exactly the same as the old heater?

No I didn't switch any of the dip switches and I verified them against the control panel diagram.
Yes I hooked up the heater element the same way as the old one.

When the spa was tripping the GFCI prior to diagnosing the heater element I think the last time I tried powering up the low speed didn't come on but I didn't look at the panel.
I'm in a rental and there's a GFCI in the wall and on the cord and thought it was one or both of those but they tested out ok.
Prior to this the spa has been running fine for over a year.

I would flip that dip switch on and then back off just to make sure it isn't stuck.

If you didn't change any of the wiring and it isn't the switch, then it's possibly the control panel.
Have you gone through all the programming to make sure something hasn't gotten changed?

I flipped the switch on and back off even tried #'s 3 & 4 too and no change.
Not sure if I went thru all the programming as I'm using a generic BP series programming interface and Marquis might have done something different.
How can I verify if it's the control panel vs something on the circuit board making it sense the 240v?

I can't imagine anything causing it to think it's on 240 volts if you wired the heater element back exactly like the old one was wired. You didn't remove or loosen one end of the white jumper on the board did you?
Did you remove and reinstall the power cord?

I would go through the wiring again to make sure it's exactly as it should be.

I went and read the Marquis manual and then read the Balboa manual for the control panel. Whew!
In the Balboa manual it states on page 16 that the panel senses the voltage at startup and displays it on the panel. I don't see any way to program that.

Did you read and note the dip switch settings showing on the control panel?

I think I'd call Marquis and see what they have to say. You may have to factory reset the panel to get it working correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.