Just curious, why saltwater vs chlorine?

Karen,

A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool.. the only difference is the method of delivery. With a saltwater pool the salt in the pool water is converted to chlorine by the Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG). With a normal chlorine pool, the chlorine has to be added by some other method...

There are four ways to chlorinate your pool...

1. Using chlorinated 3" pucks... We do not recommend them as they lead to problems...
2. Manually add Liquid Chlorine or plain Bleach on a regular basis. Usually daily or every other day.
3. Use a Stenner pump to automatically add Liquid Chlorine or bleach.
4. Use a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) to convert the salt in your pool into chlorine.

edit... I might add that if I built 100 more pools they would all be saltwater pools. I like the feel of the water and the fact that it takes less effort to maintain the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TexasMom77
Convenience. Once I get it dialed in, I can go on vacation for a week and come home again to a sparkling clean poll.

I don't understand why *not* a SWG? it is the only way I'll have a pool too! I don't wanna lug home jugs of bleach/chlorine if I don't have to.

For some I suppose its a financial thing. They can't find the extra money at one time to get the SWG, yet they can find a few bucks weekly to buy bleach. I don't have to make that kind of decision so I go with convenience!

Maddie :flower:

Convenience and more stable control of my pool.Has of the price.I would be very hard pressed to spend over $600 for the system I have.Got mine last year for under $300 on Amazon.Advertised incorrect price.Only wish I had bought two at the time.

I chose one for the convenience. I don't have to purchase or store bleach. I can chlorinate even with my automatic cover closed (a stenner pump could as well). I like that mine can automatically adjust the level based upon water temperature - so when fall came and water cooled, it automatically reduced the amount generated, and did the opposite when heating up this spring. So, make my maintenance a lot easier.

On my cheapie Intex pool, the Intex SWG was not a big investment and it is much more forgiving than manually adding liquid chlorine or bleach. Its part of my regular list of chores to test the pool water, but if I forget for a day or three or go away for the weekend the pool does just fine without my hovering over it. So it is a convenience thing for me. Plus, the water always looks great and I like the feel of the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So initially I was going for saltwater because I thought it may be healthier. It appeared to produces less byproduct and since it is not synthetic chemicals, I thought it may be better for the kids. I have been reading and it seems that it is not really a proven fact, more opinion at this point (people have less issues with the saltwater). Did anyone do it because they thought it may be healthier?

The chlorine in a saltwater pool is no different than the chlorine added manually in any other pool. Once it's in there, chlorine is chlorine. The only difference is how it got there.

Karen,

I have people tell me my saltwater pool feels really good on their skin vs the country club pool for instance. If you stick around here long enough you'll soon realize the huge difference in chlorinating public pool vs those maintained the TFP way. In other words my pool "feels" good because of proper balance of chemicals not because it is saltwater. That proper balance can occur with manual chlorine dosing or SWG.

But....I'm an advocate of the SWG for convenience. Hands down.

So has anyone had a saltwater setup for longer than 4yrs? My only concern is majorly reducing the life of the pool by using saltwater. I am looking at the saltwater 8000 so the warranty will be ok, but I would hate to lose 5 or more years on the pool due to saltwater. I hope to get a good 10yrs out of the pool. By then the kids will be much less interested in it. Just wondering if anyone has had salt for awhile with no issues of corrosion?

I have had my pool (15' x42" AGP) on saltwater system for going on 7 years! I did chlorine the first year and NEVER again! My time was constantly consumed with testing - adding- crying- green frustrated!
I'll always stick with saltwater filtration!
I pour my salt in when I open my pool... maybe a bag once more before closing it down for the season! Easy breezy! My levels are always spot on. I'm in Missouri and the summers get scorching hot hitting 90's and 100's! The salt doesn't burn off the chlorine near as quickly!!
Good luck!

I have had my pool (15' x42" AGP) on saltwater system for going on 7 years! I did chlorine the first year and NEVER again! My time was constantly consumed with testing - adding- crying- green frustrated!
I'll always stick with saltwater filtration!
I pour my salt in when I open my pool... maybe a bag once more before closing it down for the season! Easy breezy! My levels are always spot on. I'm in Missouri and the summers get scorching hot hitting 90's and 100's! The salt doesn't burn off the chlorine near as quickly!!
Good luck!

Thanks, that is helpful!

I am the fence about getting a SWG. One of the biggest drawbacks with my pool is if I head to the beach for the weekend is that I have to "recruit" someone to dump bleach in over the weekend. Of course this becomes even more problematic if I want to go on a longer vacation. My neighbor just switched to a SWG and my pool is about 10 years old. Anything I should be concerned about as far as longevity on the pool with switching?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.