Pump acting strangely

Feb 26, 2011
La Quinta, CA
When my pool pump comes on in the morning it works fine for about an hour. Pump sends water thru the chlorine generator to the spa which then spa outflows into pool as normal. Then for some reason it pumps just enough water into the spa for only a trickle of water to drop into the pool. If I use the in-house remote to turn the pump off then on again the pump will restart and send the correct volume of water to the spa for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours or so. Then the water coming into the spa slows down again to a trickle. The pump is running at the same RPM whether lots of water is coming out of the spa and in to the pool or just a trickle. The filter basket on the pump is clean...I can see thru the plexi glass top that water is coming into the filter basket at a good volume...the pump is running at normal RPM but again hardly any water is flowing out of the spa and into the pool. The large main filter was recently cleaned, my pool cleaner moves around in the pool as usual l, but my chlorine production is down because very little of the water that comes out of my IC40 chlorine generator is getting into the spa and then into the pool. Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

OK...here is an update. I reset the pump from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm about three hours ago. Water is now pouring out of the spa and into the pool. There have been no pump stoppages. I will let it run at 3K for a couple more hours to build up chlorine then reset the pump speed back to 2K and see what happens.

What is the pressure on the filter when it is running properly and what is it when the trickle starts?

The PSI is 10 and shows the same when water is spilling out of the spa and when the water is just trickling out

- - - Updated - - -

Same as when everything was OK...nothing was changed on the valves.

- - - Updated - - -

How are the valves set?
Same as when everything was OK...nothing was changed on the valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.