Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2017
LIBERTYVILLE Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I'm looking at a SWG rated for 35,000 gal. My pool is an 42'x20' AG Aqua Leader pool. The pool calculator tells me my pool is 25,400 gal. I've read you should over size the SWG for longer service life and shorter run cycles. Given my pool size, will a 35k SWG be adequate to achieve those two goals?

M,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners worried about size... :snorkle:

We recommend a SWCG that is 2 times the volume of the pool. So, for a 25K pool we would recommend a 50K SWCG..

As far as I know there are no 50K SWCGs, so that would mean moving up to a 60K model...

Here is why we recommend always having a larger SWCG than you need... SWCG ratings are based upon running them 24/7, at 100% output. I doubt you really want to run your pump 24/7.

A 35K rated SWCG will have to run much longer to generate enough chlorine for your pool than a SWCG rated at 60K.

Thanks,

Jim R.

40K cell is about the minimum I would suggest and would likely need to run at 100% for about 11 hours every day.

If you do not have a VS pump that is going to cost you a lot electricity..

Mr. Fixer,
I'm in Florida, my pool is 29,900 (call it 30K) gallons, and is in full sun from morning until late afternoon (when the house starts to shade pool). So my pool size is in the same ballpark as your 25.5K pool. I have the Pentair IC40 rated for 40,000 gal. My CYA is at 80 ppm. Right now my FC daily loss is about 2 ppm, and I need to run my IC40 cell at 100% duty cycle for 9 hours/day (10am-7pm) to keep up and keep FC at 6 ppm. I'm worried that this cell won't have enough capacity once "real" summer hits, I'll just have to run it longer. I wish I had the IC60 cell, but I got what the builder gave me! Luckily I have a VS pump that draws only about 300 Watts at the speed required to run the cell. Good luck!

In IL, as in MD, 1.5x is fine. The sun isn't as strong and you will not have to run as long as noted above. It is different than lower latitudes.

I rarely get above 50-60% for 12 hours. Which is only operating it for 1/4 of a day. I could run it at 100% for fewer hours but I like the additional skimming time.

This is with my 70-80 CYA levels. Absolutely no harm in going bigger though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.