where is my CL going?

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I did the overnight test and early evening, my FC was 11 and at 5:30 a.m, it was still 11. This afternoon, it was 5.
I have been adding at least 2 jugs of bleach every night and have seen a pretty consistent pattern of about a 5 ppm loss. I was wondering if I was loosing any overnight so I forced myself to get out of bed to check. I did not loose any. My pool gets full sun all day with no shade. We've been running between 95-100 temp and the pool water is almost too warm! Is it normal to loose this much cl to the sun?

MY CYA is 80 and I'm working to bring it down.

If you get full sun all day, and are losing 5 ppm of FC from 11 during the day, then you might want to keep your CYA level where it is. Either your sunlight level is a bit higher than usual or your CYA level is a little lower than you think it is. Either way, you probably don't want to lower CYA any further.

I'm in Houston where its been really hot lately. I'm using about 4ppm of chlorine a day right now and my CYA is around 40. I'm actually thinking about raising it a little to see if it would hold the chlorine a little better.

Our water temperature is sitting around 90 right now. I don't even want to think how hot it will be in July and August.

I retested my CYA and used 1/2 of the reagent and 1/2 of the water it called for. The black dot was not visible at about 60. So I'm gonna go with 60 on my CYA instead of 80. I'm gonna go with a CL level according to pool school and see what my daily drop is from there. AGGGG! By the time I get a handle on the pool, it'll be time to move :(
Good grief, with the CYA of 60 (if that is indeed right and I think it is), I've effectively lowered my CYA for around 150-200! Since last Sept.

my2kidsmom said:
I retested my CYA and used 1/2 of the reagent and 1/2 of the water it called for.
Was that just to save on reagent, or did you also add tap water? If you're just doing a half-size test that's fine, and probably the 5ppm FC loss is because you're trying to maintain FC higher than it really needs to be. If you're diluting with an equal amount of tap water then you CYA is actually higher.
--paulr

I didn't dilute with tap water. I used a medicine measurer to make sure I used the correct amount of pool water and reagent. And, yes, that was my last bit of reagent. I'm holding off on buying more until I know if my next house will have a pool or not.. I'm in the process of looking for a house in OK and have a timeline to be outta here by mid August. So, I've got to find a house SOON.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.