Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where is my CL going?

1. Back To Top    #1

where is my CL going?

I did the overnight test and early evening, my FC was 11 and at 5:30 a.m, it was still 11. This afternoon, it was 5.
    I have been adding at least 2 jugs of bleach every night and have seen a pretty consistent pattern of about a 5 ppm loss. I was wondering if I was loosing any overnight so I forced myself to get out of bed to check. I did not loose any. My pool gets full sun all day with no shade. We've been running between 95-100 temp and the pool water is almost too warm! Is it normal to loose this much cl to the sun?

MY CYA is 80 and I'm working to bring it down.
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: where is my CL going?

Yes. If you aren't losing any over night, you're fine and what you are seeing is normal.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

If you get full sun all day, and are losing 5 ppm of FC from 11 during the day, then you might want to keep your CYA level where it is. Either your sunlight level is a bit higher than usual or your CYA level is a little lower than you think it is. Either way, you probably don't want to lower CYA any further.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in Houston where its been really hot lately. I'm using about 4ppm of chlorine a day right now and my CYA is around 40. I'm actually thinking about raising it a little to see if it would hold the chlorine a little better.

Our water temperature is sitting around 90 right now. I don't even want to think how hot it will be in July and August.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I retested my CYA and used 1/2 of the reagent and 1/2 of the water it called for. The black dot was not visible at about 60. So I'm gonna go with 60 on my CYA instead of 80. I'm gonna go with a CL level according to pool school and see what my daily drop is from there. AGGGG! By the time I get a handle on the pool, it'll be time to move
    Good grief, with the CYA of 60 (if that is indeed right and I think it is), I've effectively lowered my CYA for around 150-200! Since last Sept.
    Pam

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by my2kidsmom
    I retested my CYA and used 1/2 of the reagent and 1/2 of the water it called for.
    Was that just to save on reagent, or did you also add tap water? If you're just doing a half-size test that's fine, and probably the 5ppm FC loss is because you're trying to maintain FC higher than it really needs to be. If you're diluting with an equal amount of tap water then you CYA is actually higher.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't dilute with tap water. I used a medicine measurer to make sure I used the correct amount of pool water and reagent. And, yes, that was my last bit of reagent. I'm holding off on buying more until I know if my next house will have a pool or not.. I'm in the process of looking for a house in OK and have a timeline to be outta here by mid August. So, I've got to find a house SOON.
    Pam

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Pam

Can I ask how you lowered your CYA?
    I've effectively lowered my CYA for around 150-200! Since last Sept.
    My CYA is that high now (I hate Trichlor) and I want to lower it to 50. If there is a way to do it without replacing the water, that would be wonderful.

TIA! Heather
    very plain 1966 Rectangle, refiberglassed in distant past, 15K gall, Pentair 320 Cartridge filter
    Dolphin Diagnostics cleaner (the best!)

9. Back To Top    #9

sorry, Heather, the only way is water replacement. I did it by dropping two water hoses and letting the water drain out to a bit below the skimmer and then I refilled. I have done this oh, about 10 times! I'm glad we have cheap water!
    Pam