Phoenix Newbie Here - Suggestions Appreciated

Mar 19, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Recently stopped using tabs and have been working on the methods I have learned here. Bought the TFT test kit and have diligent in trying to stabilize levels so I can ask for advice. Pool is located in Phoenix, AZ, and details are in my signature

Current levels:
FC: 7.5
CC: 1
PH: 7.5
TA: 160
CH: 750
CYA: 60

My fill water is approx 500 CH

Water is clear and good color. Am I on the right path or is there anything you all recommend?

Appreciate your help!

Welcome to TFP fellow Arizonan!

It's funny, your numbers are very close to another person from AZ I was just responding to.

My immediate concern is that combined chlorine number. Having a CC of 1 means you may be fighting something off. Are you able to perform an OCLT test to make sure you don't have anything growing in there? The test instructions are here: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Once we have a result there, we'll be able to take the next step.

Arizona represent! Starting to heat up around here.

Agree with Trip, the CC is the biggest immediate concern. Are you sure the FC test went totally clear? If the OCLT test recommended above doesn't pass, its time to SLAM.

Post some pics if you can, lets see what you're working with.

Okay.....on Saturday I added a bag of shock and ran the pump for 8 hours while I was out of town. Last night I performed the OCLT. FC went from 12 to 9. Cc stayed at 0.5.

Assuming that the 3 point drop suggests I need to SLAM? Added a photo as requested. Thanks all

IMG_4402.jpg

Using the methods here you should not be using any sort of "shock" such as Clorox Xtra Blue. You should be using only liquid chlorine or plain bleach. The stuff you added contains several other chemicals this site does not recommend, as well as it will increase your CYA. Given that your CYA is already at 60, the liquid chlorine is how you should be "shocking" aka SLAMMING your pool.

Moving forward, you should now bring your PH down and start your SLAM. Make sure to hold your pool at SLAM levels until you pass all three tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.