Replacing liner

minister1534

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Portales, NM
We drained our pool in expectation of our liner being replaced, but then the replacement was put on hold for a week. The liner now has a crack in it exposing the material underneath, not sure what it is but guessing it is vermiculite. I have covered the crack with a tarp, because I was told the vermiculite could dry up if exposed to sun. Is this true? Should I be worried? Anything else I should do? Replacement will happen this coming Wednesday.

Can't imagine that being a problem. Assuming your liner will be professionally installed, they will make any necessary vermiculite repairs prior to install. Don't think you'll need any but they will take care of it.

Same here ..............
Our pool has been drained for approx 2 weeks now. It was drained to get the exact measurements for the new liner, and so it was ready for install when the liner came in .
Well , it has been a nasty , windy , rainy 2 weeks here in the northeast and I have been a nervous wreck the old brittle liner would not hold up until replacement time . Its all cracked, and weathered now . Luckily no cracks that are very large or down anywhere near the bottom areas of the pool , just near the top sides. It has been so windy , I have had to go out and stick the liner "bead" back in the coping channel slot quite a LOT , so I didnt loose the whole thing . Now because of all the rain, there is approx 2' of water in the deep end, and that has helped keep things "tight" . I also layed a few large patio stepping stones on the base, in the shallow end to keep everything "snug" until the liner is installed .
Just got a call from the pool co. , and our liner will be installed this upcoming week .:D Perfect actually, because the weather forecast says some nice dry days and 80 - 85 degrees. Perfect for a liner install !

I think you will be just fine , unless you get some large tears that will open the base to the weather , or the liner starts pulling out of the channel .
You could always fill a little water (maybe 1'-2' in the deep end hopper) in the pool to keep things tight until the new liner install . I am sure the Pool Co. will smooth the base out just fine before the new liner goes in .

Good Luck !

Just curious, what's the cost of having a liner replaced. This will be our 13th season with the liner that was installed the year we bought the house

Mine is $3200. 18' x 36' with an 8' deep end , standard hopper style pool.
Price includes everything, including an underwater light niche DELETE process (we dont want it anymore) . Thats for a 27mil custom liner , installed , all prep work and repair any vermiculite areas that are not smooth. Disposal of old liner.
Only thing extra is water .

Our cost is going to be just right at the $4,000 mark. Liner 27/20mil Latham signature liner was $3,000 and then another $1,000 for install which includes all new white pieces and any patch work the floor may need. We have a 24,000 gallon kidney shape with 8ft deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.