What is the reagent in the CYA test?

Jun 5, 2009
In Leslie's FAS-DPD - does anyone know?

I am going to do a drain/replace to reduce my CYA but I am going to run out of reagent very soon (because you need to use 7 ml per test!)

I had to do a 50:50 dilution with fresh water:pool water to get what I hope is an accurate CYA, and its between 160 and 180 (Trichlor I hate you). So I am planning on a 50% replacement

According to this MSDS file Blue Devil Cyanuric Acid Test Reagent is a combination of melamine and sodium acetate. This would appear to be a higher than neutral pH (unless they also have acetic acid as a buffer solution and neglected to list that) so this may be different than the Taylor reagent and may produce a different result in a turbidmetric test. That is, the view tube may be uniquely calibrated for this reagent. For comparison, the Taylor R-0013 reagent has this MSDS.

You can get just the CYA test, with view tube and reagents, from tftestkits.net here at a very reasonable price.

The Blue Devil CYA reagent and view tube are different than the Taylor CYA reagent and view tube. The procedure for the test is nearly the same, but the markings on the view tube are at different heights, so the parts are not interchangeable between the two brands.

Solvangswimmers said:
In Leslie's FAS-DPD - does anyone know?

I am going to do a drain/replace to reduce my CYA but I am going to run out of reagent very soon (because you need to use 7 ml per test!)

I had to do a 50:50 dilution with fresh water:pool water to get what I hope is an accurate CYA, and its between 160 and 180 (Trichlor I hate you). So I am planning on a 50% replacement

I bought a gallon of it from leslies for under $25 and keep it stored under the counter in the AC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.