Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the reagent in the CYA test?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the reagent in the CYA test?

In Leslie's FAS-DPD - does anyone know?

I am going to do a drain/replace to reduce my CYA but I am going to run out of reagent very soon (because you need to use 7 ml per test!)

I had to do a 50:50 dilution with fresh waterool water to get what I hope is an accurate CYA, and its between 160 and 180 (Trichlor I hate you). So I am planning on a 50% replacement
    very plain 1966 Rectangle, refiberglassed in distant past, 15K gall, Pentair 320 Cartridge filter
    Dolphin Diagnostics cleaner (the best!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the reagent in the CYA test?

R-0013.

Good luck.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

It's melamine, with a buffer at low pH. You can get 8 ounces (4 larger bottles) for $15 from tftestkits.net.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Richard
    I have a CYA test kit that says Cya test solution by Blue Devil Pool and Spa. Is it the same stuff?
    Thanks Steve
    20K gallons,plaster, IG, Posi Flo 100 cartridge filter, 3/4hp pump. , Polaris 280?

5. Back To Top    #5

According to this MSDS file Blue Devil Cyanuric Acid Test Reagent is a combination of melamine and sodium acetate. This would appear to be a higher than neutral pH (unless they also have acetic acid as a buffer solution and neglected to list that) so this may be different than the Taylor reagent and may produce a different result in a turbidmetric test. That is, the view tube may be uniquely calibrated for this reagent. For comparison, the Taylor R-0013 reagent has this MSDS.

You can get just the CYA test, with view tube and reagents, from tftestkits.net here at a very reasonable price.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

The Blue Devil CYA reagent and view tube are different than the Taylor CYA reagent and view tube. The procedure for the test is nearly the same, but the markings on the view tube are at different heights, so the parts are not interchangeable between the two brands.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Solvangswimmers
    In Leslie's FAS-DPD - does anyone know?

I am going to do a drain/replace to reduce my CYA but I am going to run out of reagent very soon (because you need to use 7 ml per test!)

I had to do a 50:50 dilution with fresh waterool water to get what I hope is an accurate CYA, and its between 160 and 180 (Trichlor I hate you). So I am planning on a 50% replacement
    I bought a gallon of it from leslies for under $25 and keep it stored under the counter in the AC.

8. Back To Top    #8

Very good - I will go to Leslie's and get a gallon!

thanks
    very plain 1966 Rectangle, refiberglassed in distant past, 15K gall, Pentair 320 Cartridge filter
    Dolphin Diagnostics cleaner (the best!)