Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Raypak heater install question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Raypak heater install question

Hi All,

My new Raypak 106A has arrived. The propane install and hookup is scheduled for Monday. I would like to do all the plumbing today in advance. Is there any issue with running water through before there is gas? It says there is a built in by pass so the plumbing would be pretty basic.

Any thoughts would be appreciate!

Rob
    9 x 18 Hydro Force AGP, Aqua Pro AP ASFAL 75 pump and sand filter, Hayward Skimmer, Raypak 106A propane heater, Sunquest Solar Panels, Pentair Rainbow test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Raypak heater install question

There is no problem running water through. 100% of the water that passes through my pool pump flows through my heater and has for years whether or not the thing is on or off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard!
    First time heater owner so I wanted to be sure. It shows on install that it should be bolted down to a pad? I was planning to just sit on some levelled patio stones. Is bolt down required?

Cheers!
    9 x 18 Hydro Force AGP, Aqua Pro AP ASFAL 75 pump and sand filter, Hayward Skimmer, Raypak 106A propane heater, Sunquest Solar Panels, Pentair Rainbow test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

That I don't know. I think mine is, but I've never actually looked.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Very rarely are they bolted down unless code requires it to be. Then if a homeowner does their own install, they are never bolted down.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Paul. I think it should be fine. Too bad I don't know how to hook up my 30lb tank to try it out !

R

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool heater is in and running! Ya!!

Only problem was installer didn't know how to get at the wiring for the fireman switch to hook up my sun touch. I ran wire from the jumper already but alas it's not 100 % complete.

Anybody know how to remove the control plate to get at the wires?

Thanks,
    R

8. Back To Top    #8

So after first 12 or so hours with new heater this is what I can tell you.
    Ambient temp last night 42° saw a gain of 2-3 °per hour increase with solar blanket on. Turned of pump and heater at 10pm pool went from 57 to 66. This morning at 630 pool was at 63 ambient is 38 pool is now 68 at 830. Solar is not available so is not in use.

Very impressed so far. Looking forward to seeing how the solar will affect the heater cycles.

Cheers,
    Rob