Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First self opening

1. Back To Top    #1

First self opening

Hello- new pool owner last year. Just tried opening myself this year for the first time. Going fairly well by my expectations. Can I please have some guidance.

Fc 5.0
    Cc 0.5
    PH 7.3
    CYA less than 30 was always able to see dot
    Alk 50
    CH 225

20,000 gallons, doing the BBB method, opened yesterday green water. I skimmed, added 4 jugs of 12.5% yesterday morning just hoping to stunt algae and to get things moving in my favor. Filter running 24hrs now. I was about to do a slam but I suspect I need to add CYA first, then PH check, then do it.

Current status is mostly cleared water. Slight haze and a lot of brushed algae fallen to bottom that I have yet to vacuum out.

Thanks
    Dan

MY FIRST SEASON WITH A POOL - TFP SAVED MY LIFE
    21,000 Gallon Vinyl IGP (16*34.5*7.5) -- K-2006 Test Kit with a Speed Stir
    Hayward 1HP "Superpump" w/ Hayward S-200 High Rate Sand Filter, Checked in fall 2015
    3 Returns, no Main Drain -- Blue Wave Magni-Clear Solar Cover -- Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First self opening

Your pH is close enough and the CYA is mildly acidic, so it may lower it a little more. Don't waste time fussing with it. Add enough to get CYA to 30 by filling a sock and setting it in the skimmer, and then hit it with the bleach. Assume the CYA you just added is already dissolved and target 12 FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks now for the dumbest question.

Does that mean an actual foot wear sock, or some pool skimmer sock ?

MY FIRST SEASON WITH A POOL - TFP SAVED MY LIFE
    21,000 Gallon Vinyl IGP (16*34.5*7.5) -- K-2006 Test Kit with a Speed Stir
    Hayward 1HP "Superpump" w/ Hayward S-200 High Rate Sand Filter, Checked in fall 2015
    3 Returns, no Main Drain -- Blue Wave Magni-Clear Solar Cover -- Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A foot wear sock is best. Not too thick, but enough for support. Skimmer socks are thin and best used in skimmer baskets. Because the weather will be cool over the next few days on the East Coast, SLAM the pool. Test at least daily and add enough bleach to keep at SLAM level. Please follow the instructions and until you pass all 3 tests, the SLAM is not complete.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwist937 View Post
    Thanks now for the dumbest question.

A regular sock, with no holes. You can hang it in front of a return or set it in the skimmer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!