Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algeacide is making my pool cloudy!

1. Back To Top    #1

Algeacide is making my pool cloudy!

I have an 18x42 Intex pool with a saltwater pump and sand filter. When I uncovered the pool it was green so I turned on the pumps added algeacide and let it run. I bought a test kit and long story short have added product until this kit says it's good on all levels, but the pool is still cloudy. It looks like it would be blue water but it's a milky color. Yesterday I decided to add more algeacide because I read that algea causes the water to be cloudy, well when I added the algeacide I noticed right where I was pouring it, the water was clouding up. So now I am really confused!! Please help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algeacide is making my pool cloudy!

Welcome!

The obvious thing to do is stop adding algaecide. Algaecide works better as a preventative than as a cure in the same way that wiping surfaces with Lysol stops the spread of germs but drinking it won't cure a cold.

What you need now is bleach. The saltwater generator can't produce chlorine fast enough to kill the algae so you'll need to give it some help.

I'm going to suggest some reading. That will save me pages of typing. First, theABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, so you understand our strange language. Then what we call the SLAM. You can also scroll through Algae - Prevention and Treatment and check out threads that mention green pools. Look for one with lots of replies, and the paperclip icon. Then do what they're doing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Algeacide is making my pool cloudy!

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach