Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I've been shocking my pool since Friday. Shock target is 20.
Stuff I've added:
6lbs CYA should get me to 50. Can't test till Sat.
Salt test today 2200(adding more tonght) SWG never been on.
I tested FC with strips this evening and it was a little above 10(should have more DPD tomorrow :oops: )
Checked pH today while FC was 11-12 and it was 6.8
Before starting the shock mode, my water was
TA 60 (has not been adjusted)
CH 80 (has not been adjusted)
pH 9 (dropped on it's own)
Is there anything else I should/could be adding at this time????? I realize TA is a little low and CH is way low. pH is low if this is accurate.
I need guidance :scratch:

You need to raise your PH. Ideally, do this when FC is 15 or lower. I would aim for a PH of 7.4 to 7.6 for now, and then check it again when the FC level is back to normal.

High FC levels (10 to 20) cause PH to read higher than actual. Very high FC levels (somewhere above 20) cause PH to read way higher than actual.

Do you have any borax? Go ahead and add enough to reach 7.4. ASAP. Even though your FC is over the "10" threshold.... Next time the FC is below 10 test the PH again.

PH dropped on it's own? How odd....

The CH does need to be about 220 for fiberglass. Soon you will want to start raising that. Since you are in the shock process now, you can use Cal-hypo for shocking - that will also get your CH level up, though slowly.

Thanks Jason. I'll worry about the other stuff later I suppose. I'm going to go raise my pH right this very minute.(after I check the PC :-D )

O.K. Here's what I have: pH plus=Sodium Carbonate 5lbs
I do have 2 boxes of Borax 4lbs each.
Calcuim Plus=Calcium Chloride 16lbs.
Alkalinity Plus= Sodium Bicarbonate 5lbs.
Now what? :?

Add 4 lbs of the "Ph plus".

Tomorrow you can add half of the cal plus - don't do at the same time as other chems. Don't be alarmed if your water looks cloudy after you add it.
You can add the other half the day after.

Make sure you brush alot, pre dissolve it in a bucket of water in small batches and pour it into the return flow. Keep brushing till it's all dissolved. You'll need more cal later, but it's not critical right now.

Don't worry about the baking soda or the alk plus - the ph plus stuff will raise your TA too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FPMom, you're going to kill me :rant: You had me second guessing myself when you said"how odd" about the pH dropping. So I checked it again. The problem was, and I still don't know why, I used my aquarium pH test. So when I did it again I noticed that the longer I shook the water the more acidic it got till it went to 0 :shock: So I checked it with the Taylor Basic and it was 8.2. I then checked it with an aquarium wide range test kit and it showed between 8-9. I don't know why my regular pH test kit was so screwed up. It tests from 6 to 7.6. I know I will never do that again.
So, I am getting a high reading at shock level. I will leave it alone. I will go ahead and add the cal plus as you instructed.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time :oops: One more lesson learned.

This is on the same subject matter. I probably need to get my CYA up. I've put enough in to be at 50. Can't check it for a couple more days.
But I snagged this stuff call Granular 56, since PB was giving me all these chems. It is Sodium Dichloro-s-triazineterione,Dihydrate.
Could I use this to get my FC to shock level and also boost my CYA???
Maybe I should just stick with the CYA and Chlorine. Might make things too complicated :?

But I snagged this stuff call Granular 56, since PB was giving me all these chems. It is Sodium Dichloro-s-triazineterione,Dihydrate.
Please dont use it.....(yet). Dichlor is pretty nasty about raising your CYA too much too fast.

Let your dosage that you've already done work it's way into your pool. If you test 50ppm in a few days, stop there and get used to your pool.

If later you decide you need more CYA, you can then use the dichlor. If you're like most, you will find that your dose of 50ppm is perfectly adequate. Once CYA goes into your pool it does not come out easily. Overdosage of CYA is on of the most common causes of algae blooms reported on the forum.

Thanks Dave. I'm going to KISS.
BTW. Got my DPD powder and other stuff today :party: Ordered Sunday and here today. Can't ask for any better service than that. :goodjob: Now that I know which end of the scoop to use, it should last longer :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.