from Ohio

Welcome to TFP,
Pool School at the top of the page is the place to start. A good test kit will save both time and money in maintaining your pool. I'm bias to the TF100, link in my signature, or a Taylor K-2006. Thie differences are outlined in Pool School article.

Hi Bill,

I am one of the few Buckeye fans in Texas. [Go Bucks :lol: ] Reading the articles in the Pool School, buying a good test kit, and using the BBB method will save you time, effort, and money.

By doing your own water testing you will test frequently, prevent problems quickly, and achieve accurate results. If you are dependent on the pool store to test you will test perhaps weekly, the test results will be very suspect, and they will talk you into unnecessary products.

We had several expensive years and way too much work until we avoided pool stores. I buy all chemicals in the laundry isle of Walmart or at Lowe's.

Read & learn. You will be able to enjoy your pool.

Welcome to TFP.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I've been reading some of the info here at the site and learning a little. I've just about committed to a 27' round pool with a 2 speed motor and a cartrige filter. It is a total package deal that includes install and all the stuff to startup.
I'll prolly be around quite a bit this summer with lots of newbie questions.
thanks,
Bill