Raising free chlorine level

Erica

Apr 22, 2017
Quakertown
Hello! This is my first pool. It is an 18' round above ground. Sand filter. Filled the pool in mid April, I live in Pennsylvania so we've had some warmer than usual days, but recently below average. About two weeks ago, my ph needed to be increased and also the free chlorine. I added the recommended solution from our pool store and then shocked the pool. Everything was good for about a week. Now the free chlorine is low again, but everything else is good. I have a floating chlorinate. Do I have to shock again? Or should I be adding my chlorine in another way? Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to TFP :)

How are you testing your water? We reccomend testing with a good home drop based test kit. Like these

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Also, have you had the chance to look at any of the articles in the Pool School link at the top of the page? By using a chlorinator with pucks, you are also adding CYA which can get too high over time and make your chlorine much more difficult to manage. Here is a link to some basics.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.