Using Trichlor to Raise CYA

Mar 5, 2016
Central CT
You guys have done too good of a job converting me. Last year my CYA was my first year with the pool. The CYA was crazy high from the prior owners, so I did some partial refills to get it down to a manageable number and used liquid shock for all my chlorine needs last year. As such I've never actually used pucks, so I'm going to ask some really stupid questions.

My CYA is currently under 30. I have some leftover trichlor feeder tabs (marshmallow sized things) from the prior owner. Are they still OK to use?

I played with the pool calc and figured out how many ounces of trichlor it takes to raise my CYA by one. Do I just let the pucks hang out in the floater until they dissolve and add more as needed until they all dissolve? How much would you add at a time to make sure you don't overshoot anything?

How do I know how much to add to keep my chlorine at an appropriate level, or should I just go test and add liquid chlorine as needed?

Added fun I got two inches of rain two weeks ago so I had to let some water out, We're supposed to get 2 more inches tomorrow. My water is dropped back down under 60 F this week in case that matters for some reason.

I just used a bunch of 1" trichlor spa tablets (0.5 oz/tablet) to raise my CYA up because I only had about 30oz of granular stabilizer left. They were over 4 years old. Worked just fine to get me the last 10ppm CYA I needed....

I say, use 'em if you got 'em. I have a half full bucket of trichlor tablets (around 20lbs) left over from before adding my SWG. I throw a few in a floater after backwashing and refilling to bring my Cl and CYA up. The most important part is to stay on top of your chemistry.

I just used a bunch of 1" trichlor spa tablets (0.5 oz/tablet) to raise my CYA up because I only had about 30oz of granular stabilizer left. They were over 4 years old. Worked just fine to get me the last 10ppm CYA I needed....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.