Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Necessary to switch neutrals on relays?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Necessary to switch neutrals on relays?

This is for a Pentair Suntouch but really applies to any relay in a controller. Currently my Suntouch is wired only to switch the hot, but I noticed the wiring diagram wants me to also switch the neutrals with the same relay. Is this necessary? I know you always want to switch hot, but not sure if neutral is a must or not.
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Necessary to switch neutrals on relays?

K,

Assuming we are talking about 115 VAC, then I don't believe that you ever want to switch the neutral.

With 220 volts, you obviously want to switch both hot leads using the same relay.

Are we talking about anything in particular??

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Its a relay to switch a 120v pump. I'm adding a 2-speed relay to my current Suntouch setup and noticed the wiring diagram wants me to switch the neutral too.
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Most two speed motors are 240 volts.

What voltage is your motor?

Can you show the wiring diagrams?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

K,

The diagram in the Pentair manuals showing a 2 speed pump relay is for a 220 volt motor and the lead marked as "Com" is one side of the 220 volts going to the motor.

It has nothing to do with the neutral in a 120 volt set up.

I think we have some confusion going on...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your right, I saw "com" and thought neutral. Page 56 of this manual is clear; https://www.pentairpool.com/~/media/...de_english.pdf