Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA was non existent, now too high. Grrrr

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA was non existent, now too high. Grrrr

I had zero cya a week ago, I followed pool
    Math, added 60 ounces granular stabilizer via the sock method, letting pump run 24 hours, then on and off after till all was dissolved about 4 days later. Tested today and it's 70! And pool math tells me to replace 43% water. Sorry, no way....after adding water already, shocking, brushing the heck out of it. Also, ph is at 7.8. Chlorine was at 3, water is pretty clear and it's still pretty chilly here, water is cold. This is frustrating, this is our 6th year with our pool and sometimes it still feels like a crapshoot to me!

16x32' AG pool with vinyl liner new this year (2015). Built 2012. 4'-6' depth, approx 16,000 gallons. Hayward sand filter, with Frog cycler

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA was non existent, now too high. Grrrr

How sure are you of your pool volume?
    My calculation puts it around 13,700 gallons (assuming average of 4' depth) not the 16k in your signature.

What are you testing with?
    How sure are you that CYA was really 0ppm and not just something below the minimum of the test?

How many ppm of CYA were you attempting to add?

Using 13700 gallons, 60 oz would have only added 33ppm.

Are you following the SLAM process?

What is a Frog Cycler?

EDITED due to messed up numbers.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sure the experts will way in shortly, but i believe that when CYA is less than 20, it will show as zero on the test. However, you still could have some there without knowing it, so it's always best to undershoot when adding CYA to be safe and not go over the desired target amount. Also, your pool volume may be smaller than you think. With the backwashing that you'll be doing with your sand filter throughout the season, you will be dumping a decent amount of water and hence your CYA will come down slowly with it.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Jamie,

Well something is not right..

60 oz or about 4 lbs of dry stabilizer will only increase your CYA by a little less than 30 ppm...

I can only assume your original test was way off???

You can live with 70 ppm...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.