Hi, I have been reading alot on this website for a few weeks now and it is sooooo helpful, but I still find myself a little confused and scarred to touch my pool water. When i started reading, my pool wasnt this bad..then we had to leave unexpectatly for a week and a half and pool is terribly GROSS. Here is my problem. Pool was filled and we had many problems with the hose cracking ect..thus filter w as never turmned on nor were chemicals ever put in. So now I have a stagnent, slimmy 18ft round bucket of slime/water. We did buy a pool cover for it but it came off while we were gone, and there were two major storms that hit here as well. Anyway, what is the CHEAPEST was to clear this problem up? I thought using the baking soda, chlorine would be the CHEAPEST route to go to maintain pool this summer. Can I still do this after I do a major shock to it? Also I don't have the money for a test kit...I do have a hth 3 way test kit. I also will be getting a vacume bag that goes on the end of my hose to suction as much of the algia slime away. How many of those shock tabs do I need to put in to shock it? Or can I just use a BUNCH of bleach from wal-mart. Please advise me on the best cheapest way to fix and maintain this darn thing.