PICS Finally! - The Infamous Oval with a Deep End!

Jun 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I live in Las Vegas

I just purchased a Asahi/Mighty Sun Midland Braceless Oval 21' x 41' with an expandable liner to 6 1/2 feet.

My plan was to have a professional installer come and set the pool up, including leveling and digging etc.

I have only been able to find one company that says they install above ground pools - J&T pool Assembly.

Originally, they told me they could do the install on this pool. Today I call them to schedule, and they say that no pool installer will ever set up an oval pool with straps as a deep end pool.

So now I am stuck. The pool should be arriving by Friday and I have no idea what I am going to do.

I have read on poolforum.com that it is entirely possible to safely convert straps in an oval pool to accomodate a deep end.

I believe it is hrsdennis from AZ that says he does it frequently, modeling the install process of doughboys, who are the only ones who specifically sell pools to have the expandable option.

I was hoping to be able to contact Dennis, however, I did not find poolforum until after the registration was locked down, so I cannot post there. I also can not view his profile, send a private message- anything. I was hoping to contact him to find out if he knows anyone in my area that does these installs, and if not, if he could provide some guidance on how to do it myself.

I am completely unskilled when it comes to this stuff, so I am freaking out a little about what to do. I never intended to have to install this myself!! At this point if the price wasnt insane i might even be willing to pay for someone to come to Vegas to do it!

Anyway - if anyone can help get me in touch with Dennis, i would really appreciate it. I know there are many people on these boards that are also on poolforum, so I am hoping someone can help!

And - if anyone knows of good installers in the Vegas area, please let me know! :shock:

Hi Mike, you got me. The contact form you filled out on my site led me here, so now I am at your service. A pool with straps can easily be converted into a deep end pool.

If you can communicate with photos I can build anything. The best part is, I would love a trip to Vegas, so maybe I could help you set the liner.

As for a good installer in Vegas, I may have been the last one. I used to spend a few days a month there installing pools. One of our contract stores here in Arizona had a store there.

The pool you describe should be easy to convert. If you are willing to to provide the photos maybe we can make this a learning experience for everyone.

Lets get started, Dennis

Say, have you started this process? I would LOVE to follow along with you as we plan to go deep end with our braceless pool down the road - we are moving it to our farm eventually and can have a deep end there - our current home has a very high water table, making it risky for deep end.

Please let us be the fly on the wall for this process, pretty please!!!!

Still in limbo

Well, I have a beautiful pool...

In boxes, in my garage...

Sad to say I have not been able to begin this project yet. I have exchanged a couple emails with Dennis, and I am waiting on a little more of his expertise before I even think about tackling this effort.

I have been trying for weeks now to find someone locally who can help with this task, but it seems above ground pool installers don't exist in Las Vegas. Apparently everyone else has enough money for in-ground pools!

If I end up having to do it all alone, I may opt out of the deep end option. I just cant even begin to think about digging 2 1/2 feet in this hard rocky desert ground by hand in 115 degree heat. The dig specs for this pool would have me digging out about 200 square feet at that level, plus another 300 sq ft of ramped area. Not to mention I already work 60-80 hours a week for my day job. I do not want to spend every free moment of the summer doing this, just to have a pool I can't even use by the end of the swim season!

I am still trying to find someone who can assist, but not looking good so far.

I promise to keep you all posted though, and if I ever do break ground on this thing, I will be sure to post the entire adventure along with pics so you can all share in my pain!

:shock: :cry: :shock:

Still no progress

I never thought it would be this hard to find someone to take my money!

2 months now, countless web searches and phone calls, i cant even get a single person to give me an ESTIMATE on doing the ground leveling, dig, and install of my pool.

Can it really be this hard to pay someone for a service?

The swim season is almost gone now, and my family still has no pool - just collecting dust in the garage. I have had multiple people take the time to come out, review the specs, and give me the impression they are interested in doing the work, only to never hear from them again despite numerous phone calls.

If any professional Above Ground pool installers from outside are NV are willing to come down and install a 21 x 41 buttress free AG pool with a 6.5 ft expandable liner - email me back with your price. At this point I would be willing to pay for someones airfare/gas and hotel stay in Vegas for a week to get this thing done.

:(

Sorry that you are having such problems, but lots of us are staying tuned! When you talk about a 'deep end' do you mean at least 8'? The reason I'm asking is because DH & I are kinda kicking ourselves for not thinking about having our 8'deep end raised to about 5' or 6'. :roll: when we had it replastered. Our diving board was removed years ago by previous owner and we are glad. I have also noticed that many new pools are being built w/o the deep end. Just a thought. Hope all works out soon for you and your family. We'll be waiting for the rest of the story! :wink:

Joyce

Are you still waiting to hear? You must certainly be able to just hire someone with a skidsteer/bobcat or a backhoe to come in and dig it can't you? That is the hardest part by far. If you give someone the specs to dig (landscapers, etc) and hire some extra hands to help with the install, it really is NOT that hard once the digging and levelling is done. Get a transit (borrow or rent) and from there you can get anything level. The rest of it can be set up with the help of your family and/or friends.

My husband and I set our oval up ourselves with the help of two teenagers (when they weren't glued to Playstation or the Ipod)

WilBar manufactures oval pools as well that are intended to have deep ends. You can see the instructions here
http://www.propools.com/products/ABG_Pa ... dliner.pdf

Hope this helps

Still looking...

Ugh... after an exhaustive summer of trying everywhere to find someone willing to take my money to install this pool, I finally gave up. My kids visit the pool in its boxes in the garage every so often....

So here we go again - if ANYONE knows ANYONE in the Las Vegas area or someone willing to come to the Las Vegas area to get this thing done, please let me know.

HrsDennis had responded to my original request, but I think I sent him too many questions and he just stopped answering me. HrsDennis, hope you are doing OK, and I would love to hear from you again if you have any advice to offer on this project, or want to make a Vegas vacation out of it.

If I cannot find anyone to help on this, I think I am going to have no choice but to sell the thing to someone willing to install it themselves. If it were not for the deep end part, I would have done it myself, but I have seen too many horror stories of pools caving in, and with a pool of this size, messing it up is not an option!!!

LA above the ground pool

I'm sorry that your kids have had to visit the pool while it's in boxes. Could you get a regular liner and have it set up with out the deep end dug out? I know youd'e be out some $$ but youd'e get a pool you kids could get wet in. We're all still watching this tread. Good Luck... Kimrst

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with nwmnmom. You should be able to call any excavating company or landscaper to dig the hole. The pool should have come with instructions on the depth, width and all the other dimensions of the hole you need. I took a lot of pics of mine when I was building it. I could upload them to some site or e-mail them to you to look at if it would help you so you could do it yourself after you have the hole dug. We put ours up with 4 people in a day, after the hole was ready. :-D

I would say that you really should visit the link I sent you above. It is not just for that brand of pool or liner - it will work on any oval with straps. We would have done that ourselves if not for the 18" water table on our property. We set the pool up ourselves and it was NOT hard at all, just give yourself plenty of time, don't rush, don't fudge on levelness and specs as laid out and you will be JUST FINE. The digging is what you need and that can be anyone with the equipment and a transit for levelling. If you run into questions - stop, send a PM or urgent post to ANYONE here and we will help. If I had a dry ground to dig in, I would be out there doing mine over to add the deep end this spring. Go for it. If you follow the directions it will not collapse. It may be destroyed from other factors but the NON deep end pool would be destroyed from any of those factors too. High water table is only real enemy of a deep end oval AG pool.

Share your pics?

98xc600 said:
I agree with nwmnmom. You should be able to call any excavating company or landscaper to dig the hole. The pool should have come with instructions on the depth, width and all the other dimensions of the hole you need. I took a lot of pics of mine when I was building it. I could upload them to some site or e-mail them to you to look at if it would help you so you could do it yourself after you have the hole dug. We put ours up with 4 people in a day, after the hole was ready. :-D

98xc600 - if there is any way you can send me those pics, I would greatly appreciate it. I am still trying to find professional assistance on this, but I am running out of options, and I could use all the help I can get. Your pics may do that for me.

My email is [email protected]

Update

Well, we are less than a week away from June, and I am still in Above Ground heck. I have been actively searching for professionals willing to install the pool, and have had very few bites. Most of the people who have come and given estimates say they are not comfortable building the pool using the instructions I am providing for the deep end conversion.

Everyone who has experience with these things says it is a fairly easy effort, but the few general contracters I have found with any pool set up experience are not comfortable with it.

I have been unable to get any response from Dennis clarifying his suggestion, which I am too "layman" to understand. I am hoping 98xc600 will be able to send me his pics and maybe those will help.

I really don't think I can do this thing myself - I do not have a bunch of friends that can come help me. I sit at a desk all day, and I am just not seeing me along in the back hard with this pool wall I can barely even stand on its end..lol. Maybe I don't have a choice, but I sure hope so...

If I don't get this thing up soon, my kids will have another swim-free summer, and will probably be scarred for life...

Mike here is a slide show of our install - using this info AND the link I posted for you earlier, you can see that it is NOT a tough job. I also have a lot more specific pictures if you want them at my PB account - the only difference between my install and the deep end install is the slope you can hire someone to dig out on the end and the last set of straps are buried into the ground with anchors - check out the link I sent, it really does show it. Otherwise the rest of it is EXACTLY like my install - and the link is not even for my brand of pool, its just a good link that works with all of the pools like this. I would say that if you can hire someone to dig and post an ad for someone to come and help with the install - they don't have to be professionals - how old are your kids? Recruit the wife and kids to help - thats what we did, my hubby, me and two boys. It's not technically difficult, just lots of elbow grease and a bobcat needed. GO FOR IT!!!

98xc600 - do you have copies posted to see? I would love to see the process for deep end as we will do that with ours when this liner goes and we either move the pool or tile off the water table in that area. Thx

Re: HELP!!!! Can't find an installer - Oval with a deep end

I've been wondering if you'd ever have a pool! I'm so happy for ya! SO HAPPY!

Can't wait to see pics!!! :mrgreen:

Re: HELP!!!! Can't find an installer - Oval with a deep end

YAY that is great!! and then you can have one heck of a
poolparty.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.