May 12, 2017
Houston
I'm a first time member and new pool owner. Looking forward to using the forum to answer all my questions and learning from experienced pool owner.
Thanks,

Attachments

• 18446852_2259713697587761_2262007744999437770_n.jpg
    18446852_2259713697587761_2262007744999437770_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 35
tj,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all Houston area new pool owners... :shark:

Nice looking pool.. Good job getting your signature done before your first post!!!

But... be prepared to be 'educated" about your choice of an in-line chlorinator.. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Welcome! :wave:

You're way ahead of the curve, joining not only before you have a problem but before you even have water!

If you want to ensure you never have a problem, invest in a proper test kit now, so you'll be ready when the builder says it's all yours now. There's a writeup in pool school or just skip it and head over to tftestkits.net for a TF100.

We want to see pictures when it's full, preferably populated by a bunch of swimsuit models.

The pool builder said it was awesome and would help with keeping the pool more maintenance free. I have a friend that is a chemical engineer and questioned the heck out of her about her pool set up and she had one so I figured it would be ok.

tj,

If you monitor your own pool water and understand the relationship between FC (chlorine) and the CYA (Stabilizer) then using an in-line chlorinator is ok.. The only downside is that CYA does not go away, so when the CYA gets too high, you will have to drain, at least some of your pool water, and refill.

We are assuming that the type of in-line chlorinator we are talking about is to 3" chlorinated tabs or "pucks"... If what your pool builder is calling an in-line chlorinator is actually a Saltwater Chlorine Generator, then that is a whole different animal... and a great thing to have...

One of the reasons that most people come to this site is because they let the CYA build up in their pools over time. When this happens you almost can't put enough chlorine in the pool to keep it from turning green.

When using pucks for chlorinating your pool, you normally have to add packets of "shock" to your pool once a week.
When using pucks for chlorinating your pool, your pool with often smell like Chlorine, the same smell as a public pool.
When using pucks for chlorinating your pool, you have to spend half your life in the dreaded Pool $tore... Buying things you don't need.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey TJ,

Nearly Everyone came here to learn this stuff, so no worries. In-line chlorinators are great, just not as a now and forever sole source of adding Chlorine for the reason others have metioned. Later this summer you'll see a slew of people joining and discovering they have over stabilized their pools, often for this exact reason. Glad you found us, and hope you enjoy your time on TFP.