Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partially buried pool wall and perimeter landscaping ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Partially buried pool wall and perimeter landscaping ideas?

20170430_124330.jpg20170430_124344.jpg

I had my above ground pool replaced last year because the previous pool wall had corroded away in a number of spots, including near the base. In some spots, the pool wall was buried up to six inches deep with dirt and rocks against it. The corrosion that occurred at the base was where the wall was buried, so it was obviously trapping moisture against the wall and causing the corrosion. Due to the safety issues, I removed the pool.

Fast forward to the new pool install... The installers expanded the circular installation location to be about 2 feet wider than the new pool (the new pool is the same size as the old pool), as seen in the pictures, but kinda did a cruddy job in making it look good. Also seen in the pictures is that in some places the lawn is a good 6" above the bottom of the pool, hence the previous pool being partially buried in those spots. I would like to do some landscaping around the perimeter of the pool to level it out with the lawn which would require burying some of the wall in some places.

My question is, how can i avoid the corrosion from the moisture that will be against the wall?

the pool is the Orion by Sharkline with a galvanized wall, i believe.

I was thinking of using something like Flex Seal to coat the wall with before burying it in the hopes that it will keep the water from coming in direct contact with the wall.

Also, what are some nice landscaping ideas for the pool perimeter?

Thank you for any help you have to offer.
    24' round above ground, ~13.5k gal, sand filter, hayward single speed 1.5HP pump, installed April 2016, test kit = TFP-100, well water used to fill the pool (slightly acidic and slightly hard with some radon for good measure)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Partially buried pool wall and perimeter landscaping ideas?

Why not put in a border to hold the lawn and dirt back and then fill the rest with large gravel? Don't forget the weed barrier.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Why not put in a border to hold the lawn and dirt back and then fill the rest with large gravel? Don't forget the weed barrier.
    I had thought about that but wouldn't there still be some moisture trapped against the wall? That's what led me to think about applying some sort of waterproof coating to the wall.

Good call with the weed barrier! I would have probably forgotten about that.
    24' round above ground, ~13.5k gal, sand filter, hayward single speed 1.5HP pump, installed April 2016, test kit = TFP-100, well water used to fill the pool (slightly acidic and slightly hard with some radon for good measure)

4. Back To Top    #4

Rocks don't hold moisture the way dirt or tanback would. And weed barrier is porous. It's not black polyethylene sheeting. It looks more like that fabric they stick under furniture and box springs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

So you're talking about something like this:

above-ground-pool-landscaping-images-kits-steel-wall-vinyl-lined.jpg

I was hoping for something with plants to make it look a little nicer. But that would require dirt against the wall.

I appreciate your comments. thank you.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's it exactly. You want big enough rocks that a weedwhacker won't scatter them. And rounded, so bare feet and flimsy inflatable pool toys don't get punctured. Best would be too big to fit down the skimmer plumbing in case kids get too rambuctious.