Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Way To Raise PH without Raising Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Way To Raise PH without Raising Alkalinity

I am getting ready to flock my in-ground pool to vacuum to waste all the dead algea after an algea bloom. Alkalinity is 95 and PH is 7.2. Bottle of flock recommends PH to be 7.8 or above for it to work as advertised and I don't know why. Should I try to raise the PH up? How do I raise it up without messing too much with alkalinity? Any pointers from you experts to this novice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    22000 Gallon in ground vinyl pool built in 2000, sanitized with chlorine
    Hayward C900 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Super Pump, 1HP, Single Speed
    Taylor test kit
    I have well water and do not use it in my pool. Have water trucked in when I need it.
    I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Way To Raise PH without Raising Alkalinity

to raise Ph without effecting TA-----------aeration of the surface.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Aerate the water. If you have a spa, crank it up to max and turn on the blower. If not, point the return eyeballs up to get the surface rippling. People have devised all sorts of things with PVC pipe. Someone else used a submersible pump hooked to a lawn sprinkler.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I made this aerator from PVC from Home Depot and hooked it up to my Polaris booster pump port in the pool wall.

Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP66 View Post
    I made this aerator from PVC from Home Depot and hooked it up to my Polaris booster pump port in the pool wall.

What kind of fitting did you use to connect that up to the Polaris port? I'm interested in doing something like this. Did you use dry fit, or PVC glue? Looks nice and perhaps good for targeting flow to a skimmer.
    20x40 28kgal in-ground vinyl built 2011, liner replaced 2017
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair SuperFlow 1HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin Active 30i
    City water, TF-100 test kit + speedstir.
    Recommended Levels | Chlorine/CYA Chart | SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool port is a threaded 3/4 pipe, so I just bought a 3/4" to 1" adapter at Home Depot and built everything with 1" pvc. I did use a few unions to make it easier to assemble and disassemble when needed. I glued everything together. I orginally started with just a single one, but decided to add a second one to see if it would decrease the aeration time needed. Not sure how much it really helped. Even just one would work fine IMO.

Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Here was my original build. It actually generated more intense bubbles more than likely because it was only a single unit instead of two.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks! I like all the unions. I've seen other options but I like this one for the circulation potential - I don't get great circulation in the deep end, so this gives me a way to do surface and middle of the deep end at the same time. My port has the quick disconnect (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZTUEAO), so I've been trying to think of a way to fit this connection into an aeration tool. I'll eventually get there!
    20x40 28kgal in-ground vinyl built 2011, liner replaced 2017
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D sand filter, Pentair SuperFlow 1HP pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin Active 30i
    City water, TF-100 test kit + speedstir.
    Recommended Levels | Chlorine/CYA Chart | SLAM

9. Back To Top    #9

The quick disconnect is 1.5" I believe, so you could just get a 1.5" threaded piece and use all 1.5" pvc. I try not use it unless I really need to aerate because it can get costly running off my booster pump for long periods.