Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump replacement help

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool pump replacement help

In the process of changing out a pool pump. the old one was hooked up to 2 different timers. Hi and Lo I believe. The wiring posts don't mirror what the old pump had but was given this new one by the pool company saying it would work. Any info or help in getting this new one wired up is greatly appreciated.

image1.jpg
    Old motor wiring

image2.jpg
    New motor wire posts with old wiring next to it.

image3.jpg
    New motor panel info.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump replacement help

That replacement pump looks like a single speed. Is that what you want?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, the dual speed never worked before so single speed is all good.

I am guessing the purple and black would stay on L1 and L2 respectively. While the Green of course goes to Ground. Correct me if I am wrong on any of that.

It's the Yellow wire that is throwing me off. The new pump doesn't have that "B" terminal. So, just not sure what to do with it. Cap it off? Just remove it from whatever timer it is coming from and pull it out of the conduit?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes to all of the above. The yellow wire probably started life as white.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, will give it a go as above.

Do you happen to know what that B terminal might of been for in the old pump? Speed setting for the motor maybe? I can't find anything about a B terminal on a pool pump anywhere. The motor info panel on the old pump was long destroyed by the elements so it is not readable.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by AtheosDino View Post
    Thanks, will give it a go as above.

Do you happen to know what that B terminal might of been for in the old pump? Speed setting for the motor maybe? I can't find anything about a B terminal on a pool pump anywhere. The motor info panel on the old pump was long destroyed by the elements so it is not readable.
    The way it probably (note probably) was set up is that black and purple are each 120VAC at opposite phases. So black or purple to yellow/white is 120V low speed. Black and purple is 240VAC his speed.

Open up the timer boxes and see what you have in there and wire accordingly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The way it probably (note probably) was set up is that black and purple are each 120VAC at opposite phases. So black or purple to yellow/white is 120V low speed. Black and purple is 240VAC his speed.

Open up the timer boxes and see what you have in there and wire accordingly.
    Thanks.....was kind of thinking that as well but just wasn't positive. Bringing my multimeter home with me today so I am going to test the wires.

Thanks again for the help.