Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: backwash hose

1. Back To Top    #1

backwash hose

when I backwash I have to run that flimsy hose in a large arc to a 90 degree change of direction. sometimes is goes without a hitch but most of the time it ends up flailing around, kinking and then splitting. then I have to shorten it. I though I had it figured out last night, I bought a 2" to 1.5" plumbing so I could attach a vacuum hose to. it lasted about 5 seconds before the hose end blew off the hose. is there a heavy duty backwash hose available to purchase anywhere? im really trying not to hard plumb this if I don't have to.

thanks
    anthony

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: backwash hose

There have been quite a few members who have bought old used fire hose and that works really well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had the same problem. The secret is preparation. Before you throw the valve, straighten the hose and remove every single twist and make the bend as generous as you can. It usually takes me as long to get the hose laid out as it does to actually backwash. I have some old concrete blocks and if you run the hose through one of the holes a few feet from the end it stops a lot of that whipping around.

Others will soon chime in about buying retired canvas fire hoses.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

What about a permanently plumbed pvc line?

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt
    20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I use my 4" corrugated pipes that I have on my gutter downspouts.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ant812 View Post
    .... it lasted about 5 seconds before the hose end blew off the hose. is there a heavy duty backwash hose available to purchase anywhere? im really trying not to hard plumb this if I don't have to.
    How is the hose attached to the plumbing? In my case I have a plastic nipple adapter screwed into my 1.5" female threaded adapter. When I put the hose on the nipple I use a metal hose clamp. Actually, what I plan to do this season is buy some camlock fittings making it easier to clamp the hose on and off. Banjo 1 1/2" Polypropylene Cam Lever Coupling - Part A - 150APP
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller