Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a heat pump is my wiring/breaker sufficient?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a heat pump is my wiring/breaker sufficient?

I'll start off by saying that I will have a qualified electrician & pool service professional do the installation of the heat pump. I'm just doing research for costs involved which include possibly beefing up the existing pool wiring.

I'm looking at the Pentair UltraTemp 120k btu heat/cool heat pump (recommended 50amp breaker)
    http://images.inyopools.com/cloud/do...ultrafloom.pdf

The breaker in my house that supplies the subpanel at the pool equipment has a 60amp breaker. I have a pool light, 1hp FloPro pump (less than 8 amp draw) , and an AquaPure E1 SWG (less than 2 amp draw) hooked up to that panel. There are still slots available in the sub-panel.

Would the 60 amp breaker in the main panel be enough for the new heater and existing equipment? Or should I expect that I'll need to go bigger? Thanks in advance.
    Leisure Pools Riviera 34 Fiberglass IG 16100 gals
    CS150 Cartridge Filter 1hp FloPro pump, AquaPure E1 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a heat pump is my wiring/breaker sufficient?

Yes. Technically you can add a 100 amp sub panel off of a 100 amp panel. So as long as you install a 50 amp breaker/fuse out at the equipment you will be fine.

Only issue you might run into is if everything pulls it max amps at once, that could trip the 60 amp breaker.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

3. Back To Top    #3

You need more information to answer that question. You need to know the length of the wire run and what gauge and type of wire was used for the run to your pool panel. My first guess is to say no your 60 amp panel probably isn't enough. The last thing you want to do is under-volt your heat pump or pool motor because you don't have enough power available.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

Check the wire size. Hopefully you have #6 wire.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi, thanks for the replies. The total run is about 50 feet and yes I have 6agw wire. At the subpanel there are 2 20amp breakers. 1 for the pool light and the other one for the SWG and pump. Thoughts now? Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

#6 should be good for up to 65 amps or so depending on the wire. You can double check with your electrician. In my opinion you should be fine

7. Back To Top    #7

thank you sir

8. Back To Top    #8

If you run the voltage drop calculations on that run at 60 amps draw you actually need #4 wire. Your current wiring run is borderline acceptable at 50amps. Just looking at the maximum current for the wire is not all there is to a circuit like this one. Following opinions and not calculations is how you burn out motors and fry control boards.
    Chuck-

9. Back To Top    #9

I did say to double check with your electrician.

I just looked at the specs on your heat pump. Looks like they want a 70 amp fuse. Or 50 amp breaker. So it must pull 45 or so amps at startup. I guess it is borderline like CJ said. (Depending not real loads from your other equipment).

Here's the ampacity chart. You may indeed need larger wire from your main panel to your sub panel. What's your main panel look like?

And I disagree with you CJ. You can run 50 amps all day long with 3-#6 and a #8 ground.

10. Back To Top    #10

It's called voltage drop calculations. The longer the wire run with high amp draw the bigger the wire you need. 3% voltage, or 6 volts for 230v, drop is the max acceptable for this type of circuit. At 50 amps and 50 feet your #6 wire has a voltage drop of 2.3%. I also assumed your wire run is in conduit and not direct burial. Direct burial cable has a lower allowed ampacity.
    The net effect is that everytime the heat pump turns on you will drop voltage on your wire which is very damaging to equipment. Like I said before the wire ampacity chart is only the starting point when designing a circuit you aren't allowed to exceed those numbers on wire it's not what that wire can carry all the time.
    Chuck-

11. Back To Top    #11

What calculation are you using? I'm only getting 2.5VD, which is only about 1%. I wouldn't even worry about VD until about 100`.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

12. Back To Top    #12

The breakers are designed with a tolerance. If you pull 65 amps from a 60 amp breaker it would trip in a minute or two, or maybe even longer. If it was 70 amps it would be a minute or less. If it was 100 amps, a second or less. They are designed that way for the in rush current when you turn things on. Motors especially.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

13. Back To Top    #13

There you go. Straight from jzat. who is an electrician. You are probably ok. But make your electrician double check.

14. Back To Top    #14

A 60 amp breaker has an allowable trip time of up to 6 minutes at 120 amps (200% of rated current).

It does not have to trip until the current hits 81 amps (135% of its rated current.). For breakers up to 50 amps, the allowable trip time is up to 1 hour at 135%.

http://goodsonengineering.com/wp-con...rMyths_web.pdf

At 100% of rated amps, the breaker should not trip. The breaker can trip between 100% and 135%, but it doesn't have to. It has to trip at 135%. It can trip between 0 seconds and 1 hour at 135%, but it can take up to 1 hour.

Different manufacturers have different trip times for the 135% and 200% limits that are usually less than the maximum allowable trip times.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

Excellent! I was just being a typical electrician. (Being lazy and didn't want to look it up)

16. Back To Top    #16

Hahaha good one. Make sure you tighten the lugs to the correct torque value too.

17. Back To Top    #17

Just wanted to provide an update to close this out. I did order the heat pump I indicated and had a professional pool installer/electrician do the install. There were no changes to the wire size or breaker from my main panel. Knock on wood, but the heat pump has been running without issues (no tripped breakers) for the past week. The first day it ran for about 8 hours straight to bring the pool temp up from 75 to 86 degrees.

18. Back To Top    #18

Great thread! I had almost same scenerio and questions but all answered here.
    19,000G IG | French Grey Plaster | 3ft Wide Waterfall | Pentair CCP420 Clean & Clear Filter | Pentair 3.0hp Intelliflo VSF Pump | 2 x Melody Sol LEDs | Pentair Ultratemp Heat and Cooling 140k/80K | Pentair Easytouch PS4 | Del Eclipse 20 | Taylor K-2006-C

19. Back To Top    #19

How has the heat pump performed? I am looking into a pool and also live in MD.